We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa suggestion for June anniversary

Birmingham, Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Villa suggestion for June anniversary

My wife and I are celebrating our 10th wedding Anniversary. She suggested a Caribbean cruise. I've talked her out of it because I like to get out and around. After searching through all the island sites St John has what we want. Beach's, snorkeling, hiking, mountains and not to populated. We plan to spend 9 days. I've been looking for Villa's priced from $1500 - $2500 a week with a private pool and A/C (at least in the bedroom). I want privacy. I've seen some places I've ruled out because they have close neighbors above and/or beside. I like the views of the ocean/bays and mountains are a plus. I've ruled out the Cruz bay area and far east side because I want to have a short trip to other beach's yet still be away from the population of Cruz bay.

Here is a list of the Villas we've ruled it down to based on price, location and advertised privacy.

Arco Iris Cottage

Ilios Cottage

Coconut Hill

Viewtiful

These are in order of what I think best fits our desires based on pictures and reviews. The top two are overkill for just the two of us but the prices fit and I think the locations are great. The next two have very good locations for me but my wife does not like to be cold and I'm worried she wont enjoy the outdoors or pool as much as I would.

There is 10 others that were on our list but we ruled them out for no other reason than we needed to narrow it down to ask this question. If we need to consider another one please let me know.

Any thoughts you have about these places or the order than I have them in would be very helpful.

Thank you so much

Greg

Yaaa ! ! Completed my 1st post

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

When I was choosing my first villa on St. John, Viewtiful was on my list. The rep from the villa management company told me that the pool was cold at that villa. If the villa is high on a mountain look for one with a heated pool or if it mentions the pool gets full sun for the morning and afternoon, or a hot tub. It does get cold up on the mountains at night.

Arco Iris is right off the South Shore Rd, don't know how private that will feel. Also, Coconut Hill looks adorable, but the owners live on the property. Now, I don't mind that at all (we travel with 2 young kids so privacy is already nonexistent), but if you are looking for privacy, you might mind.

I can't find Ilios on the map, but it looks great and if it's by Hart Bay you may hear the waves. I also remember a forum member mentioning a great stay there.

Consider something like Honeymoon Cottage also. It doesn't have a pool, but the views are great and there aren't a lot of neighbors.

Good luck with your search!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Birmingham, Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

Honeymoon Cottage was not available on our week. My wife likes the fact that it's smaller and still has lots of charm. We might end up moving our week for this one. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. I guess we're move flexible than I thought.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
912 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

We really enjoyed Sun, Moon, and Stars. It's up on Calabash Road, I think. It's not as central as you were looking for, but the views are as good as it gets. It's very private with private solar heated pool and hot tub and great outdoor area. There is a house on the other side, but no view of it at all. It's perfect for your anniversary.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

We loved Honeymoon cottage, serene setting.

Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

I know this isn't on your list, but my husband and I stayed at Casa Bueno on Bordeaux Mountain in May and it had a pretty view, was also private. It's a 3 bedroom, but I want to say it has a 2 person rate. I also think the villa called Skyflower looks like a nice place also.

Edited: 10:51 am, February 15, 2014
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

Skyflower is spectacular, private and affordable but does not have a pool. No A/C either, but you absolutely do not need it at that altitude. A hot tub makes more sense than a pool at that height anyway. I have stayed there and would go back in an instant. The only downside is that it's very windy up there.

@GregO, take a look at Casa Yaya. It's up high, but the pool looks like it gets full sun. The price is within your range in off-season. Haven't stayed there, but I love the view, the unusual design, the big swing, and the decor. Unfortunately, it's out of our price range unless we find someone to share it with, but I would love to stay there.

Some other lower cost options that seem to meet your criteria (I haven't stayed at any of these)

Periwinkle (the Coral Bay one) - a lot like Coconut Hill. Been on my list for a long time.

Papaya Moon: cute and romantic looking. Up high, but has both pool and hot tub.

Harbor Lights: lower altitude than the others, so probably warmer. Seagrape Hill is a convenient location but double check if it has the privacy you are looking for.

Hudson, New...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

We stayed at Seawing Spectacular in Coral Bay February 2014. VRBO.stjohnvi Owners and management were awesome. No pool but they had a hot tub. Perfect for winter months. Had a/c but for additional charge. We did not need it though. Lovely and very private property. About 25 minute drive to Cruz Bay. Located where some of the best restaurants on the island are located. We are already booking for next year! Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
181 Reviews
St. John
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

My wife and I stayed at In Harmony overlooking Coral Bay for our 20th anniversary. It had all the privacy you could ever want and the owner Greg was great. It is notsuper high end fancy. But the views and privacy are fabulbous.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
181 Reviews
St. John
RI
Level Contributor
533 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

We stayed at Skyflower last May and LOVED it. No pool but the hot tub was great for windy nights and early mornings.

Coconut Hill is on our very short list this year - pretty much the same view as Skyflower (because it's just below Skyflower) but has a pool and a screened in porch. The owners live below but I've yet to read any review that says privacy was an issue.

Monkey No Climb is also on my short list - just a hot tub - but the view is from above Skyflower and similarly awesome.

I'm on the fence about pool vs hot tub....after a sunburn the hot tub was unbearable, but most pools seem to be cold according to many reviews I've read.

Viewtiful has a great central location and both a hot tub and pool. It's also on my short list. The views look incredible and the easy access to Francis and Maho is a plus in my scorebook.

I haven't focused on A/C as I've only stayed at high altitudes in May and never needed it. I love the natural symphony too and wouldn't want to drown it out with A/C anyway.

I suggest that you let your wife have the final say. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Maho Beach
Maho Beach
1,662 Reviews
St. John
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa suggestion for June anniversary

I just saw this on James Miller properties site and vrbo #466224 Harbor View cottage in Coral Bay was just built in 2013. Ticks all your boxes but availabilty is end of june into july. The nightly rate included the vi tax. So cute im adding it to my future file.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
181 Reviews
St. John