We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight schedule worries

Nashville
Level Contributor
204 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flight schedule worries

hi - planning trip (for 2) from Nashville (BNA) to STJ this mid-may for a week, staying in bay cruz area. need to make flight arrangements. would leave/return either on a sat or sun. would like to minimize risk of missing day on STJ b/c of flight delays/changes; delayed luggage, etc. as have read about here. from bna, looks like US Air (through charlotte/CLT) or American (through Miami) are main airlines (comparably priced). I know to leave at least 45 min b/t connecting flights (and would leave more if flight schedules enable). we (2) will likely have 1-2 bags total to check. Worry over flight changes makes me wonder if we're ok to plan villa rental around what flight times/days show, or if we need to arrange flights and villa rental so have a night/off airport layover in CLT or Miami built in, which seems to create 2 separate flight bookings, rechecking luggage, fees. I don't think change/delay would be issue on return if only issue is extra $ for night stay on STT?, but would hate to have worries w change going. any thoughts appreciated - e.g., 1) if we allow the 45 minutes (and plus) b/t flights, do you think we'll be ok? 2) if airline changes so have to change days at villa, how do rental folks handle/what do we do? 3) is one airline better than the other for risk of change/delays/luggage issues (mid-may)? thanks much for any insights.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: flight schedule worries

We checked a bag filled with food. I will never do that again. In our carry-ons, we had all of our clothes. When I unpacked, we both found that we wore about half of what we packed.

I've seen it mentioned on here more than once: bring 1/2 the amount of clothes, and twice the amount of money.

I'm pretty sure next time, my husband and I can cram both of our clothing into a carry-on, and use the other one for "stuff". Not having to wait for luggage would be so liberating.

Edited: 2:20 pm, January 08, 2014
grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: flight schedule worries

That's the perfect word... "liberating". It truly is. I always wanted to be "one of those" travelers and I finally succeeded on a recent trip to Florida. It wasn't that hard, but we weren't bring snorkeling gear and multiple cameras like we usually do either. It's the other stuff that gets ya! It the way to go, for sure. I agree that 45 minutes is cutting it close. We havent been to the St. John yet, that is planned for late spring. We live in Western NY, so we have left the previous day for JFK and stayed overnight, then caught a direct, early morning flight to the Cayman Islands. It works for us and you can maximize your stay that way.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: flight schedule worries

I think the flight changes the OP might be referring to is the ever changing flight times when you book many months in advance. This happens alot. If you booked a flight today for May the possiblity of change is still there. Usually the flight times are locked in 90 days out. This is when the final schedule is set for all the operations departments including crew scheduling who have to bid on the flights they want to work.

If your flight does get changed, remember this rule....squeaky wheel gets the oil. Check you flights every couple weeks until inside the 90 day mark. If your flying AA/US Airways, I would check upto 30 days out. I suspect there will be a lot of changes as routes are integrated. Some of that will probably begin this summer so you might be ok for a May departure.

Mike in Tulsa

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: flight schedule worries

Hi

45 minutes between flights is VERY CLOSE. Last time we did the trip, Bradley ( Hartford CT. ) to Charlotte NC, we missed a flight. This time, we have 90 minutes between flights. It caused us some very anxious moments, where compounded upon arrival in St. Thomas, when all of ouor luggage was LOST. It took them 3 days to find it, it was back in Charlotte the whole time. Just be careful, but from my view only, 45 is cutting it VERY close. Have fun, good luck ! Tom

Nashville
Level Contributor
204 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: flight schedule worries

hi - yes - great tip - will check regularly for any changes in flight times in advance. also, went w flight that has 90 min b/t connection out of CLT. trade off for more time was that it's the last flight out, so if miss, we may miss day on STJ if USAir can't get us on other airline/flight. will be hoping for best! thanks all.

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: flight schedule worries

Last time out to St. John, we brought a large cooler filled with frozen meat for our trip. It wasn't a problem, UNTIL ,...ALL of our luggage was left behind in Charlotte by the airline. Took 2 1/2 days until it got found, and shipped out. Everything was still frozen, but it was a MAJOR P.I.A. for my wife, who just wanted her sandals and shorts.

No big deal for me, just jumped in the poos sans trunks . No bigs for me !

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
288 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: flight schedule worries

Poos???

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: flight schedule worries

No matter what kind of flights we have, we carry on only.

I go on vacation to get away from the mayhem of day to day. I do not care if I wear the same shirt 2 or 3 times on vacation. If I wear something for a few hours at dinner, I will wear it for 3 more nights at dinner.

Travel is not about a fashion contest for me but for relaxing and not worrying about anything. We normally stay in a villa with a washer and dryer and have even done all of our landry the night before we leave. Coming home to a bag of clean clothes is even better!!!!

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: flight schedule worries

I have a lot of reasons for checking bags and unless I'm traveling alone on business; I usually do (check a bag). Its an individual thing. Similar to ice cream. Some like chocolate and some prefer vanilla. :-)

But returning from Europe. Even on quick journeys that don't require much; I always have my small (by the standards of the "whole house contents" size carry-ons I see used at US airports) taken away from me at check-in.

Edited: 1:16 pm, January 31, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: flight schedule worries

We're in St. John right now. I agree that you need an hour layover. We took AA to Miami. Nothing was delayed, so we were fine. Another flight coming in from Chicago to Miami WAS delayed...arrived 20 minutes before the second flight left. The passengers barely made the flight...their luggage didn't. I know this because my husband, daughter and I had three bags arrive...the fourth did not. So we were all in the AA office trying to round up our luggage. We each had a bag for ourselves and we had an extra bag for snorkel gear and food. I highly recommend that you bring food...a bag of apples here is $15 (no, I'm not kidding!) and a pound of bacon is $12. Food is a bit expensive here, so bring what you can! Fortunately for us, there was another flight after ours out of Miami, and my husbands bag was sent on that one. American Airlines sent his bag on the midnight ferry from St. Thomas to St. John the same night we arrived. We did have to go down to the ferry to pick it up, but it all worked out!