We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concordia or Villa?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Concordia or Villa?

We are heading to St. John in mid June and thinking of staying at Concordia in one of the premium eco-tents for 5 nights. I am a little worried about sleeping with the heat given some comments on this forum, although there are lots of hotel reviews that say there are great breezes in the premium tents. We stayed at Maho Bay about 8 years ago. I remember it being hot, but I don't remember not sleeping. Is there more of a breeze at Concordia than at Maho?

In a recent post on this forum, someone mentioned that villas with A/C are a better deal than Concordia, but I am not finding any villas with A/C that are less than $100 more than Concordia per night. Thanks for your help!

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concordia or Villa?

Hello Digby,

Are you referencing this thread? tripadvisor.com/…54227571

We just stayed at Romance Cottage (www.romancecottage.net) and I believe the high season rate was less expensive than Concordia, with many more amenities.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concordia or Villa?

I guess I should add that during the early December time frame that we were on island, Concordia was already in high season rates, but Romance Cottage wasn't. That was likely why it was less expensive than Concordia.

ny
Level Contributor
298 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concordia or Villa?

Romance cottage looks nice, but wow that other house is really breathing down your neck! Perhaps not so good for romance.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concordia or Villa?

GottaDance--that is the thread to which I was referring. Romance Cottage looks great, but guess I should have said in my first post that we will have 3 people.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concordia or Villa?

We met some folks who were staying here and liked it. www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3527067

It's wayyyyyy up Johnny Horn, so a Jeep is a must. It looks cool though.

(re: Romance Cottage's owners living next door. I think we saw each of them twice during our 12 days there. No worries at all...)

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concordia or Villa?

3 people... the guy we met at that homeaway property said three of them were staying there.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Concordia or Villa?

aaaaa - further away than the neighboring tents at Concordia and the walls of both homes are concrete - much better for romance IMO :)

Pia

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concordia or Villa?

Since you're going in June instead of the time we're thinking of staying ;-), here's what we're looking at for July/August: http://www.vrbo.com/216538. A house, screened porch, AC in the bedroom. Score!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concordia or Villa?

Check out vrbo 341566 Innstead cottage. Has air two bedrooms 2 baths great porch with sunset view starting 1300 to 1700 wk offseason.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concordia or Villa?

Thanks a lot for the villa recs! I have been scouring possible villas, but I keep thinking about the incredible views at Concordia and being able to walk to Salt Pond…

I talked to the people at Concordia, and they told me it is not shady like Maho. I have also read that this is the "hot" side of the island. So I am a little worried about how hot we will be at night with no a/c. Also, do we need to worry more about mosquitoes at Concordia than we would at a villa with a/c only in the bedrooms?

I keep going back and forth. :(