We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best meal to bring with you from home?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
Best meal to bring with you from home?

Just starting to brainstorm as to what meals and foods/stuff would be best to bring to STJ. (saving $$ +++)

If you had a great "bring with" meal or something that worked out very well...I would love to hear.

For example, I think I remember someone brought a package of frozen shrimp and they said that was really great and would do that again.

Ideas?

Thanks everyone! This board has been so helpful and the posts have already helped me out so much...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best meal to bring with you from home?

Well, I guess you have to start with what you like to eat and how fancy you want to get. One thing to keep in mind is that it's hot and you probably don't want to heat up the kitchen any more than you have to. We nearly always take groceries with us and I don’t think we’ve ever turned the oven on once. Pasta is easy and cheap, but you do have to boil the water and heat up the kitchen.

If the place you’re staying has grills available, that’s ideal. You can cook almost the entire meal outside, which means less heat in the kitchen and less cleanup. So take stuff that works on the grill. Make an early stop at St. John Spice, right next to the ferry dock, and pick up a couple of their dry rubs and marinades, and you’re in business.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
246 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best meal to bring with you from home?

On our most recent trip, I packed a cooler with the things that would cost big bucks on St. John. I used a soft sided cooler on wheels and carried it on the plane. I froze everything beforehand and then put in some of those packets of blue ice. Everything was still frozen when we arrived at our villa nearly 12 hours later. I packed bacon, hamburgers, steaks, hot dogs, and boneless chicken breasts. This really wasn't a hassle and I used the empty cooler on the way home to store dirty beach towels. Considering that the Starfish Market gets nearly $6.00 for a bag of Oreos, I figured I saved a boat load of money.

3. Re: Best meal to bring with you from home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 12, 2009