We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance Descriptions?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Insurance Descriptions?

Hi, planning trip for 6 to St. John next June 2014. I'm getting trip insurance (just in case!). I'm in the process of comparing companies/plans, Allianz, CSA, etc. I think we need just a 'basic' package, but the fine print makes me a little nervous.....example:

"3. Strikes, natural disasters or bad weather resulting in the complete cessation of services by the airline, the tour operator or the cruise line for at least 24 consecutive hours. The Company will not cover losses resulting from strikes of the person, organization, agency, or tour operator, or their affiliate companies, that solicited this coverage and/or Your insured travel arrangements to You."

Does "bad weather resulting in the complete cessation of services by the airline" actually COMPLETE cessation of services (nationwide) or does in mean to our destination? (thinking hurricane).

thx

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance Descriptions?

I'm pretty sure it means to your destination

Baltimore
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance Descriptions?

I use either insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com. If you call them they can explain which policies have the best hurricane coverage and can answer any questions you have. The language is very confusing. I wished I had called sooner after agonizing over comparing and trying to figure out what they meant. I ended up purchasing Global Alert Preferred Protection Plan. Our trip is a week away so I can't speak to their service. And hopefully won't need to!

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Insurance Descriptions?

United Airlines/Chase Mastercard provides some pretty neat coverage if you book with their card.

I already spent money on trip insurance when the new benefits package description arrived. Rats.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance Descriptions?

It could mean your departure airport or your destination airport. For example, if there was a big snow storm that closed your departure airport for 24 hours and your flight did not go, it would trigger your insurance. If there was a hurricane that closed your arrival airport and flights (on your airline) were cancelled for at least 24 hours, that would also trigger your policy. The wording is different for each company. Also, for some of the hurricane insurance, it is triggered by an evacuation order which does not usually occur in the islands because there is no where to evacuate to so you need to find out what would cause the insurance to 'kick-in' . You do need to read the fine print.

As suggested, I would call square mouth and ask them specific questions regarding coverage for hurricanes.

5. Re: Trip Insurance Descriptions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 22, 2014