We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't get it. Why no AC???

Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I don't get it. Why no AC???

Why do so many villa owners go to the trouble of building these big, beautiful villas with every amenity EXCEPT AC?! Is there not an AC company on St. John??? All I know is that both times we've been to St. John- mind you they were both summer trips- we needed AC desperately!!! I'm pretty sure we would want it in the winter too though. Anyone know why it is not in many of the villas for rent???

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
581 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

I understand all your points. Many locals we know dislike AC and they have adapted to the St. John climate and the heat does not bother them at all. I wish I was like them. The two villas, where the owners did keep the AC on, were on Fan or on a high temperature to keep the humidity as low as possible. The windows and doors also got opened if people aren't there 1x per week. I guess everyone does things differently and owners decide what works for them. I think if villa managers gently told guests about the electricity costs to the owner, that would certainly help to conserve.

52. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, March 20, 2014
Edited: 7:35 am, March 20, 2014
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

Toes - more of supply and demand is the reason you are paying high rates ....

I do not agree with that at all.

There are so many villas on STJ. So many more than there were even 5 years ago. Costs for building has increased expendientially, water truck pricing has increased, WAPA rates have sky rocketed and property taxes are insane. Then add to that hurricane insurance. The cost to own a villa, in many cases, has doubled in 10 years, and that is not counting the property cost.

It is just darm expensive and gets more expensive every year. Even the most popular villas have times that they are not booked, so it is not as if they can charge a higher rate because they are so popular. They are likely so popular because they charge a fair rate.

Look at the calendars of the larger more luxurious villas, it is not because they are so popular that they can charge a higher rent is is because it costs so darn much to own it.

I would gladly pay a la carte for my stay, I can guarantee my rate would be much less than most.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

Isn't part of the fun of a vacation on St John to live life just that little bit differently to that at home? Open the doors, listen to the ocean, try sleeping with just a sheet and listen to the gentle whirl of the overhead fans, as opposed to a quilt and a/c set at 70 degrees.

In the evenings turn off the TV and go look at the stars, swim in the pool under the moonlight, and maybe share a few cocktails or a good bottle of wine.

Good A/c cools a room down in 15-20 minutes. I'm amazed that some people want to keep it running all day.

Coming home from an adventure, just that little bit hot and sweaty, with sandy feet, and having had a few great experiences is what makes the day. Turn on the A/c then if you must, and have a cold beer whilst the room cools down.

No one is asking anyone to be a martyr here, just to be a little appreciative of the costs involved, and to realize that life in the middle of the Caribbean sea, is just different to life on the mainland. And long may it stay that way.

What i do hear in these threads, is the fact that so few people, even those who have visited a number of times, are so unaware of the issues. That calls for an effort on the part of both property owners, but even more so property managers,to make everyone aware.

As an owner i don't want to raise rates, but when utility usage is forever increasing at quite unbelievable

rates, it makes it inevitable.

55. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, March 20, 2014
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
581 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

I got very curious about the Turks and how they charge since i know they charge for AC. This is what one said on VRBO,

" Air conditioning in the bedrooms is metered in order to discourage use with the doors and windows open and is charged back to the guests at cost. " Has it ever been done or does any villa have this? I've never been there but was wondering what their climate is like compared to St. John.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

We stayed in Casa YaYa ( http://casayaya.com/ ) in Coral Bay (right above Aqua Bistro) this past July. Daytime temps were around 90-95F everyday but way up there we never found it to be hot, not even during the middle of the day. I believe it has everything to do with the way the villa is designed and how it is situated. It faces east on the west slope allowing the tradwinds to flow right though the entire villa. By noon the sun was behind the house and much of the house was in shade from the hill above us. There were a couple nights where we completely closed up the house due to heavy rain and were still searching for covers to keep warm. It was wonderful!

BTW the villa did not have AC at the time we rented it and we never missed it. They renovated the vill just after our stay and added AC along with doors and windows throughout so I cannot comment on how it is now. I know if we go back we will be opening everything up and letting the trades in to keep us cool.

Mike in Tulsa

Edited: 4:12 pm, September 05, 2013
58. Re: I don't get it. Why no AC???

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 07, 2014