We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expectations and advice for NewYears week

Haddonfield, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Expectations and advice for NewYears week

We are so excited to be returning to the USVIs. This time 13of us for a family get together. We will be there over New Years right after Christmas. We have two villas rented in St John. Obviously we can't all travel together in a pack all of the time. I have reached out to a couple of restaurants for the one or two nights we would like to have a dinner reservation for 13. My husband and I have been to St John and St Thomss a couple of times and are in love with the laid back Island culture. My questions involves expectations for this holiday week. Is it still laid back? To what extent do we have to make reservations even if its for 5 people? How crowded can we expect it to be? Is there any kind of event calendar that extends to that week? Any advice on "don't miss" events or activities? I would imagine New Years is laid back but is there anywhere we should try to go?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expectations and advice for NewYears week

You will need reservations for every dinner. That is one of the busiest weeks on the island.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Expectations and advice for NewYears week

I agree with Tink. I used to travel that week and found it difficult to even have a dinner without reservations for two individuals. I would pre-plan for the meals in advance of your arrival. The attitude of the island will remain the same, laid back, but the number of tourists increases greatly. It is still a great week none-the-less, but be prepared to have to wait a bit for a meal, a table at Woody's etc.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Expectations and advice for NewYears week

Regardless of the number in your party for dinner make reservations in advance and triple that suggestion if all 13 are planning on going

Pia

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expectations and advice for NewYears week

Agree about getting reservations ahead! Consider having one of the chefs come and do a festive meal! That has often been one of our family 's favorite meals. Mathyom! Last year we did a drop off on Christmas Eve !

Haddonfield, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expectations and advice for NewYears week

Thanks everyone. I don't look forward to having my schedule revolve around the dinner reservation I made months in advance but it sounds like a busy time. Since my first trip was a long weekend years ago and the next two were day trips from St Thomss I would love to hear of any unique and fun restaurants. We love casual ,live music , unique etc. can't wait!! Thanks again

6. Re: Expectations and advice for NewYears week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 11, 2014