We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hike

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Best Hike

My husband and I are returning to St. John for our second time later this week and we can't wait! We wanted to do a hike one day, but I wasn't sure what the best one was. Which trail would you do if you were only going to hike one day?

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hike

Ram Head - about 3 miles round trip from the Salt Pond Bay parking area, not too difficult or vertical and lots of visual payoffs all along the hike.

Side trip over to Drunk Bay is also good.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hike

I would do the Reef Bay hike with the National Park service guide. You have to call them and reserve a spot. You will see and learn a lot including the petroglyphs and possibly a small waterfall.. There are also some sugar mill ruins at the bottom of the trail. You hike downhill about 1.5 miles or so and once you get finished, a boat will bring you back to the National Park dock. I think the cost is $10pp which includes the taxi ride to the trailhead and the boat ride back.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hike

I believe it is $25.00 per person with the National Park Service for the Reef Bay hike - well worth not hiking back up :)

Pia

St. John
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hike

It deoends in your hikjng likes and dislikes. I like both Ram head and Reef Bay but reef bay longer than 1.5 miles -closer to 3 miles one way! The petroglyphs are awesome but the view from top of Ram head is gorgeous! Regardless bring a lot of drinking watet!!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hike

I agree with the other posters that the Rams Head hike is great -- lots of beautiful views and not too rigorous. Gorgeous views at the end of the trail. We also like the views from the top of Caneel Hill -- this is a shorter hike (approx. .8 miles), but uphill the whole way. We did the Reef Bay trail just a few weeks ago on a rainy day -- took us a little more than 3 hours for the roundtrip hike. Definitely a lot to see, though no waterfall even though it had been rainy. We did not coordinate with the national park, so we had to hike the way back up, which was definitely a hard uphill hike.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hike

oops, I meant *Ram Head*!

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hike

We hike Ram Head very year. You have fabulous expansive views throughout the hike.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hike

Has anyone done Ram Head at sunset/ moonrise?

How is it?

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
5 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hike

I agree that Rams Head and Reef Bay are the top two. When deciding between them, I think it depends on what you're looking for. For me, although Reef Bay can be more challenging -- especially on the way back up! -- I usually see a lot more wildlife on the Reef Bay hike (hermit crabs, deer, bats, birds, etc.). I also really like the shallow reef at the bottom that acts as a baby shark nursery. On most trips I get to see 2-3 small black tip reef sharks in that location. A nice snorkel, lunch and we hike back up. The hike back up certainly earns you a smoothie from the Colombo's Smoothies on Centerline Road! No matter what you choose, enjoy! I just returned from St Johns yesterday and I'm missing it already!

St. John
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hike

We hiked during a sunset and the rise of a moon but the clouds did not cooperate. It is dark and you have to be extra careful when coming back down!