We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

California
5 posts
Save Topic
Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

My fiance and I are looking for a villa that is not too far from town, that offers such ammeneties as a swim. pool, posssibly a hot-tub and some definite privacy. :) So far we are impressed with the following STJ Destination villas: La Papaya, Coral Rays, Ambiance and Calicaribe. We were also impressed with Masion Miele, Sea Stone Villa and Anole. If anyone could offer us some advice, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Cat

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Stayed at Coral Rays 5/05-5/18 and had a marvelous time. It's about 25 minutes from Cruz Bay, but just up the 4 wheel drive road from Coral Bay. It's a lovely villa and very private. The north shore beaches are about 12-15 minutes away and Leinster Bay (with great snorkeling) is about the same. The pool was good size with a very nice, large hot tub. The view from the pool and villa is lovely, but I do have to say that the view from Vistaero (also with Destination St. John) can't be touched. Having said that, we had a wonderful time at Coral Rays and there are 2 outdoor showers which was a nice touch. If you want any specific details, on either villa, post away and I'll respond.

California
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Thanks for the reply Cheryl! I checked out the other Villa and the view looks amazing. The property however looks a bit out-dated?! Is it as private as Coral Rays? COuld you recommend another villa that is private, yet not secluded, which is fairly close to the beach, and some decent restaurants/bars? Thanks for helping a first-time islander!! :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Actually Vistaero is not outdated at all - the main living area is lovely and very large as is the kitchen and the MBR is a lovely suite with a large jacuzzi tub. It is very private (at least it was when we stayed there). The entire LR wall is about a 25' section of sliding doors that open all the way so that the breezes blow right through. The pool was enormous and did I mention the view :) - we literally caught our breath when we walked in. It is about a 270 degree vista - that alone sells it. It is only a few minutes from Cruz Bay, but probably 20 minutes to north shore beaches. We loved eating at the Fish Trap, Lime Inn, plus the Deli Grotto for take out in Cruz Bay and Island Blues and Shipwreck Landing in Coral Bay - we were with children so didn't go to the romantic ones, but there have been good reviews also of ZoZo's, Asolare and some others (check restaurants reviews). If I haven't sold you on Vistaero, just give destinationstjohn a call and tell them what you want and they will point you in the right direction. They are very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't look at a villa on the water as an absolute necessity since it's likely to be much warmer and if you're like us, you want to sample the tons of beaches on SJ - plus the views from most of the villas are excellent since they're up high.

California
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Cheryl-

Do you have any pictures of the property and or the view that you wouldnt mind sharing? I feel like I have looked at some many villas at this point that I am going crazy! :)

Thanks again.

Cat

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Unfortunately I don't - it was before I got my digital camera. I don't even think we took any stills - crazy, I know. I do have digitals of Coral Rays which I will post if you are interested - even after the huge build up I gave Vistaero. I know you are probably more interested in being close to Cruz Bay - we did all our partying at the villa since we had the kids and when we were at Vistaero I was pregnant so had to console myself with a few mini sips of mango daquiris. All I can tell you is that Vistaero did not disappoint in any way. It was very high up over Rendezvous Bay and the pics on Destinationstjohn do not do the view justice. Even when it was warm in town it was always comfortable in the house with the breezes. The pool was probably 18 x 40 if not larger. If you want to email me directly rather than continuing to post it's c2845vincent4408@comcast.net. I know how it goes - it's overwhelming and it's a lot of $$ and you don't want to mess up with all the effort involved and the great time you're hoping for. I have travelled quite a bit and can state unequivocally that Vistaero is well worth the money.

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

HI

I am staying at coral rays in July and would love to see the pictures if you don't mind posting. I am counting the days can't wait to get back to the island.

Thanks in advance

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Pics of Coral Rays and the view from Coral Rays, that do not do it justice. The one photo taken from a distance of the side of a mountain has Coral Rays right near. It is just below the top most visible villa. One shot is of the "road" to Coral Rays.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

oops, I forgot it had to be a review. The pics will be on soon under Coral Rays

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

Thanks so much look forward to seeing them

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any feedback on Ambiance, Coral Rays or La Papaya (Dest...

I'm staying at la Papaya next month (6 weeks today, woo-hoo!)

I'll post a report and pix when I get back. If I decide to come back, that is.