We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

virginia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

Hi we want to visit other islands while we are staying on St. John. Can anybody recommend where to start and what to see first. We have heard that Jost Van Dyke is great but what about Tortola and Virgin Gorda? We love to snorkel and hike?

Thanks in advance@

Ken

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

Last year we stayed on Anegada for a week then St. Thomas (Marriott) for 5 days. From St. Thomas, we went on a snorkel tour (smaller boat - group of 8 people) to Virgin Gorda, The Baths, ate lunch at Coopers Island, and snokeled at caves. Good trip. We took another tour that toured St. Johns inland.

Anegada is a good haul from the other islands. I don't know about getting there from St. John - I'd be interested in finding out if there is a day trip. There is a ferry that runs from Tortola to Anegada.

Anegada was our favorite of the islands. We like "different" places and Anegada is certainly different. Anegada is a remote barren island that will offer you a unique experience you will not find at other Carribbean Islands. Wild long horned cows roam the island. It took us three days to figure out where the grocery store in town was at - no sign on it, etc. We rented a jeep & explored the small island - it was very interesting. Saw the flamingos.

The beaches are great and there is good snorkeling off the beach at Loblolly Bay. We were there in winter and another beach near Loblolly had fierce waves (fun to watch). Loblolly is more protected. At the other end of the island, there is a nice beach, bar, & restaurant. The island is surrounded by great beaches but those 3 have facilities (bar, restaurant, bathrooms).

There is nothing fancy about the Anegada Reef Hotel but it is clean, safe, has awesome food, and friendly people. Every night boats dock there to eat. It is fun to sit at the outdoor bar & get to know people from all over the world. To get to the hotel website, goto http://www.anegadareef.com/.

If you go for the day, you will need to rent a car or taxi to get to the islands. Anegada Reef Hotel has a van for tourists that goes to the beaches but I am not sure how that works for those not staying there.

All the islands you mentioned are great to visit. I would grab a Fodors Travel Guide of the area or another guide to plan my day trips.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

PS: You do need your passport to go to and from the US Virgin Islands and the BVI. May still be able to use birth certicate and drivers license. Bottom line is, you have to go through customs.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

Anegada is a haul to get to from STJ. You'd have to take the ferry to West End Tortola to go thru customs, then catch another ferry to get to Anegada. I think the ferries from Tortola to Anegada run twice per week. By the time you got there, I think it would be about time to head back!

Having said that, we just visited Anegada last week on a bareboat charter. If you really want to visit all of the islands you can, a bareboat or captained week long charter is the way to go!!! Ever considered doing that?

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

If you're interested, I could provide you with information about charter companies, etc.

5. Re: Has anyone been to Anegada from St. John? What is the...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:22 am, August 12, 2009