We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hopping from St John

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Island Hopping from St John

Planning our 10th Anniversary trip to St John for next May (we honeymooned there). Would like to take a day trip to BVI's (really regret not doing this before). At the top of the list is Virgin Gorda. I know we can take the ferry over . Looks like there is one going at 8:30 and one returning at 3 PM. Will this be too long there? We would be going to The Baths and would also like a nice lunch. Another thought is to charter a boat (Palm Tree Charters perhaps), . Would be able to do both Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke (would love to check out the Soggy Dollar). Any other itineraries / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

washington dc
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hopping from St John

We did a day sail with Cloud 9 to Jost last year. Stopped to snorkel, then had lunch at Foxies and then spent an hour or so over at Soggy Dollar.

Was a good trip but honestly there's so much to do on St.John we felt like a whole day away was to much, on this last trip we stayed on STJ the whole time and loved every minute.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hopping from St John

We are taking the ferry to VG specifically so we can spend more time at the Baths than you can on any type of charter or excursion. By taking the ferry you get about 5 hrs vs 2 hrs at most with a tour or charter.

Mike in Tulsa

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Hopping from St John

Some of the private charters, like Palm Tree, do not go to VG. Make sure you check on this before making reservations.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Hopping from St John

There are lots of operators. We have enjoyed the Jost Van Dyke catamaran from the Westin, the larger motorboat from the Westin to Virgin Gorda and Pirates Penny to Virgin Gorda...all great trips. For an anniversary trip maybe a smaller boat like Pirates Penny. New Horizons II also offers a Virgin Gorda combined with Jost Van Dyke motor boat trip. All of these trips takes a full day but are a fun, memorable time.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Hopping from St John

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private charter similar to Palm Tree? Looks like New Horizons & Pirates Penny are shared. Itinerary recommendations are also welcome. Not planning on snorkeling, just beautiful scenery.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Hopping from St John

We used Island Wilson Excursions last year and plan on booking Captain Wilson this year. He was awesome! He made sure that we had "Our Day", whatever we wanted to do, where ever we wanted to go! I

Hartford...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Hopping from St John

Try D'Master Cruises they do day charters as well, their email address is dmastercruises@yahoo.com

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Hopping from St John

It seems like the private ones that do go to The Bath's are more $$ than we wanted to spend. Does anyone have any experiences with Stormy Petrel / Pirates Penny. I like that fact they go to both VG & JVD on certain days of the week.

ljw70
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Hopping from St John

Just returned Saturday -- Rode with Captain John (Palm Tree Charters) on the 29th and it was worth every penny. I would say that if you are wanting to do all the things you listed, a sail boat is not the way to go. Although more expensive, a power boat ride is the only way you are going to make all of the stops you listed. We were with John from 8:30 to 4:00ish -- North Shore tour; Snorkel at Waterlemon Cay; Check in BVI at Tortola; Beach time and drinks at Norman Island (Pirates Bight); Lunch at Willie T's (A MUST!!!) then off to Soggy Dollar. I think the Bath's are quite a distance from St. John -- and if I remember correctly, Sue at Palm Tree told me that that takes up nearly the entire day...........

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Hopping from St John

For a private charter, Islands Wilson Excursions is excellent as was mentioned in a previous post. Keep in mind that if you are on a private charter you pay for the gas at the end of the day. That can make going to The Baths an expensive trip.

Captain Wilson really knows the islands and he can probably suugest some great alternatives to Virgin Gorda.