We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking between beaches in St. John

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Walking between beaches in St. John

Our cruise stops in St. Thomas next month and we plan to go to St. John for the day. We've planned out our ferry schedule but what is left is to decide which beach to go to on St. John.

My question is, is it feasible/safe for four young women to walk between beaches (example: cinnamon bay to trunk bay)?

Are there trails between these beaches or would we have to walk along the actual roads? I realize there are taxis as well but we like to hike and some of the beaches appear pretty close together (a few kilometers).

Thanks for the help!

1. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, March 21, 2014
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

There is no trail between Trunk & Cinnamon. You would have to walk along the road, which I don't recommend. There are no sidewalks or shoulder. It's twisty & up and down. The speed limit is 25mph, but the taxis (and most others) seem to go much faster than that.

You might check to see if you can rent a jeep for the day when you arrive in Cruz Bay. Most of the rental companies are a short walk from the ferry dock. The other option is to rent one at the cruise dock and take the car barge over. That is probably the cheapest option, instead of paying pp for taxi & ferry each way. The car barge charges only for the vehicle (no extra charge per people). You may be able to reserve for the day on STT ahead of time. You can't do that on STJ.

Others will know which car agencies are located at the cruise dock. Do you know which dock you be arriving?

Edited: 2:05 pm, April 23, 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

That's extremely helpful, thank you. We dock in STT (Havensight) at 8am and are trying to catch the 9am ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay (and need to be back at Havensight by 5pm). We'll probably skip renting a car due to the time it would take to rent and the cost, but I'll ask my group what they think.

Thinking we could either A) chose a combination we can walk or swim between, B) pick a beach for the day and stay there, or C) choose two popular beaches that are likely to have taxis available.

Our main priority is snorkeling, and it would be nice if we had access to restrooms and refreshments. It sounds like Trunk Bay gets very crowded (and there are 3 total ships in STT that day, including one mega ship) which is why I was considering Cinnamon.

Thank you so much for the help.

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
415 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

Trunk Bay will get very crowded. Cinnamon sounds like your best bet- it has a restaurant and restrooms where you can change if you want to. There always seem to be taxis there and you could always snorkel over to Little Cinnamon to see the old airplane under water.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

Hike to Honeymoon from Cruz Bay?

Facilities and rentals and a beach a 30 minute hike from the dock.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

This really depends how much of your precious time off the ship and on St. John, you wanjt to spend hiking, if any at all. You could simply walk from the ferry to the National Park office and walk/hike the Lind Point Trail. This would provide a mix of trail walk and two nice beaches and cocktails and partial walk of the grounds at Caneel Bay with taxi back to town. stjohnbeachguide.com/Lind%20Point%20Trail.htm

Those beaches are not, IMO, the quinessential St. John beaches however. If you want that, then I'd start with a taxi ride to Maho Bay. YHou will see amazing views and vistas on the ride and pass all the famous beaches on your way to this sepctacular one. Then if you really wanted to see a 2nd great STJ beach go to Cinnamon Bay on the way back, where there are always plenty of Taxi's. Across from the entrance to Cinnamon Bay there are 3 different hikes you could take ranging from an hour straight uphill to Centerline Road, or a neat 20 minute looping nature trail with signs explaining wha tyou are seeing, or jus tup the road a few paces, the America's Hill Trail that takes maybe 20 minutes (one way) to a ruin and views of Maho and Francis Bays. Cinnamon Bay Beach is probably the longest beach on the island and great for strolling, too. Can be windy and wavy at times, while Maho is usually calm and serene. Have fun! 4/23 and in the 40's north of Boston and a great afternoon to think of STJ and wonder how it has already been 8 weeks since we were there.

Have fun!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

Take a taxi to Hawksnest. Stay there for a couple hours snorkeling the reef. Taxi over to Caneel, maybe have some food, and snorkel the far right side of the main beach or walk over to Honeymoon.

maine
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

If you are serious about catching the first ferry available you might call and get Rachel to pick you up at the cruise ship dock and get you to and from red hook on time to catch the ferry and get back to your ship. Her number is 3407712986, and she is a delight! As for beaches on STJ I'd go straight to maho and spend the day but bring your own drinks and lunch as there are bath rooms at maho but no food. No cruise ship crowds there either.

9. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, March 21, 2014
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking between beaches in St. John

If you are arriving by cruise ship in Havensight, then the ship will probably have arrangements to go over to STJ. Bear in mind, you will have plenty of company from the cruise ships. They all seem to hit the well-known beaches like Trunk and Cinnamon. Hawksnest gets a fair amount of traffic too but a little less so. If snorkeling is a priority, I'd go to Hawksnest, maybe Cinnamon and Maho. I would splurge for lunch and check out Caneel Bay where they have 7 beaches and a nice beachside grill. If you take taxis from place to place count on $5/6 per person per leg. It can get expensive. What you might want to do is take the passenger ferry over to STJ, rent an economy car from one of the agencies near the ferry (run you about $75 but that's not too bad split amongst 4). I don't think NOT renting a car really saves you all that much time because you end up waiting for taxis sometimes. If you make reservations ahead of time, you should be able to move along efficiently and have the freedom of a car. STJ is very beautiful and you might want to do a little more exploring.