We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

Hi everyone, my family (myself, husband and twin 6 year old daughters) are looking to stay with Caribe Havens on St. John- going in May. We are hoping to have a low-key vacation, spending much time on the beach and snorkeling. I've emailed Nancy who has given me some information on the different rentals and we have narrowed it down to Eureka or Nancy's Folly, but are having trouble deciding! Beyond the basics, we want a nice view, ease of getting to/from there to town (10-15 minutes away at most), and a home that has an open feel with good breezes to give that caribbean ambiance! An outdoor shower would be great. Has anyone stayed at either of these houses and have any advice to help us decide? Thanks!

Edited: 9:06 pm, April 15, 2013
NY, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

I stayed in Eureka in May 2013 for a week. "Rustic and clean" is definitely the right description. The photos are accurate, so no surprises when we arrived. There were only 2 of us, so it was plenty enough space. There is a lower level (locked) that didn't look too great when we peeped through the window, but it's accessed through a staircase outside, at back of the house. I wouldn't have noticed it if someone else didn't mention it in a review. The house listing didn't advertise it or price for it, so I think it's unfair to make any judgements based on the lower level.

The house next door looks new, with no landscaping, so I guess this was the house under construction 2 years ago. We did not hear any construction noise.

All the cooking I want to do on a vacation only involve coffee maker and microwave, and this house had them. There's lots of other stuff in the kitchen, but I didn't pay enough attention to remember them. Everything was clean and functional, just not shiny and new. We did not see any roaches. I think we did get mosquito bites in the house because there is screen all around the house, and some (including near the front door) were a little torn up. But you can (and mostly likely will) get bitten all around the island if you spend time outdoors hiking or going to the beach.

There was also a small cooler, great for packing lunch for the beach. The house also had beach chairs and plenty of beach towels (separate from the big pile of house towels). Nice-to-haves were the washer and dryer (with detergent in the closet) , and wireless internet connection.

There is no air conditioning in the house, but plenty of ceiling fans. We have no issue with temperature, but the humidity can be uncomfortable for some. I don't know if the weather was typical, as we experienced the worst thunderstorm the island has seen in a while, and our Reef Bay hike had to be rescheduled.

Nancy was responsive on emails during the booking process. On arrival she picked us up from the dock and drove us to the car rental office. I stayed in her jeep, my husband followed in our rental. She pointed out landmarks and visual cues on how to find our way from Cruz Bay. She also demonstrated how to back into the driveway. I drive about once every 5 years so it looked challenging to me, but my husband had no problems. She also recommended a great dinner place which I can't recall right now, but I liked it better than Miss Lucy's.

During our stay, the hot water in the shower went out one night. We called Nancy and she had it fixed by the time we got back from dinner the next day. We were expecting things to be resolved on island time, so were pleasantly surprised.

That's my experience, your mileage may vary. Regardless, I'm sure you'll enjoy St John.

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

we stayed at Eureka with Caribe Havens two years ago...we were so upset that they had construction going on and we even asked before we arrived if new construction was near the villa, was assured that it was a quiet area and to have no worries. However after our 2 night stay the fun began and it was terriable....the owner of the new construction came down to talk to us and apologized, said that he had told the rental agency that they were starting construction the week we were there; so upset she didnt disclose this to us, as we really liked her and would have continued business with her agency if she could have only been honest!

now the house....we liked it alot, so much potential and such an amazing view. house had maggots in the bathroom and kitchen. called Caribe and the only thing she said we'll have someone look into it...REALLY?...we went to the store and bought the things we needed to clean the house with. I really did like the lay out of the house and the price can not be beat. As i read previous post; maybe things have changed, i sure do hope so! so be careful of Caribe Havens, unfortunately! good luck with your stay, were going this spring also, so excited it's been awhile...we haven't been back since this happened, made us so upset!

Illinois
Level Contributor
799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

sammygalsam, I am wondering if you ever confronted Nancy about the construction that she did not reveal to you? This is so dishonest if she knew that it was going to start. Unfortunately, it makes it seem like this agency is only profit motivated. I had seen these and considered staying there in the future because of the price but this makes me not have a sense of trust. Maggots are disgusting. Someone should have been sent out immediately to take care of it. You don't spend all that money on a vacation to have to deal with that.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

If you have your kids sleeping on the floor, I would be worried about roaches. It is the tropics after all.

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

We did call her and asked if she knew that the construction was going on, cause the new owner building came down and said he had called. she told my husband she had no idea that he was breaking ground that week. The new owner came down again a few days later to talk to all of us again apologized and he offered his villa a free week to us. we really thought that was super nice of him but he didnt owe us anything.

like i said really sad that this had to happen. we all have stressful jobs and really needed that week to unwind . jackhammers going off at 6 in the morning was brutal. we are so nervous about the villa we pick this year, im hoping that nothing like this occurs again.

i really wish i had the money to buy Eureka, seriously the house has so much potential. there is a basement underneath that looked water damaged. we weren't sure where the maggots were coming from it was a continuous battle all week....pretty grossed out to say the least. she never came to check it out, my husband said that he thought maybe someone sprayed the grounds but he wasn't sure. the bathrooms were filthy...it took 2 hours out of our stay to clean the house. blah! i really hate complaining, especially about my favorite vacation destination. Im sure every now and than bad things can happen!

Illinois
Level Contributor
419 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

We are staying with Phyllis at her guest house: Hillcrest guest house, 5 or 6 apartments, all Air conditioned,

Kitchens, walking distance to. Cruz u bay and beaches, and i believe phyllis gives discounts for a week. We are staying for a month, and received a discount. Tropicale is the one we booked and it looks lovely. Grams98

Edited: 10:41 pm, October 26, 2013
Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

We Stayed at this property in Dec 2013. Lovely property, great views of St thomas island and very helpful Manager - nancy. Located right off Mongoose Jn, walkable. In short the property has everything one could ask in affordable vacation rental.

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

SwatiG18 what property did you stay at? We stayed at Blue Agave this past June and loved it. Nancy was great to deal with, we are actually looking forward to seeing her again, maybe at another Beach Bar night.

Nancy's Folly

Eureka

Guavaberry Hill

Norristown...
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

I'm just jumping in to say that we've rented from Nancy 5 out of the 8 times we've been down and have never had anything but good experiences with Nancy & Caribe Havens. We stayed at Bob's Folly (no longer there), Christmas Winds above Chocolate Hole, Frangipani in Coral Bay and Great Escape in Fish Bay. All of these were fine - no bugs, no cleanliness problems, and Nancy was always responsive to any problems we had. When we rented Frangipani (which had incredible decks and a stunning view across Coral Bay to the East End), we discovered that the boombox that served as the only stereo did not work and gave her a call before heading out to dinner. When we got back, we had a new box waiting for us; bear in mind that this was in Coral Bay, so she had to schlep all the way back across the island to get it to us. Great Escape, though it needed a little work, offered the most amazing view of Reef Bay and the south shore all the way down to Ram Head; I don't think I've encountered anything quite like it anywhere else on the island. We have obviously rented from others (I notice one poster mentioned Fishbone - we stayed there as well, but found it a little "tight" and with an un-fun driveway), but we keep coming back to Nancy.

We love her dearly and will go back to her again for our next trip in 2014. I'm sorry some posters had bad experiences, but as we've all seen on these forums many times, no property manager ever rates 100%, and you can't let any one review (not even this one) be the sole deciding factor in your choice. I hope you have tons o' fun whatever you choose, but I also hope to stick with your original plan to use "our girl".

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
30. Re: Nancy's Folly or Eureka on St. John with Caribe Havens???

I stayed at Eureka (post-construction) with my 2 kids and it was spotless and delightful. Nancy was very responsive and helpful. It's a great property with a beautiful view. The house also had all of the essentials and some additional items such as coolers, beach chairs and WiFi.