We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Virgin Grande?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Virgin Grande?

Still in the process of narrowing down villas and locations in STJ. Thinking for a first visit, the Virgin Grande area may work best for us for its convenience to town, paved roads (based on Jeep Cam videos online) and sunset views.

How does this area compare to staying closer to the North Shore, Chocolate Hole or Bordeaux/Maney Peak area? Concerned about comments I've read that it's not as convenient driving through Cruz Bay to visit the North Shore beaches (which we plan to do a lot of). Is this (or anything else) need to be a concern?

Also, any comments about safety and/or driving conditions in relation to staying in Virgin Grande would be so much appreciated.

Lastly, villas we're considering in that area are: Marbella, Infinity, Rapture, Kalorama and Casa de Sonadores. Any thoughts/comments on those? Any others you'd recommend in that area (or the other areas mentioned)?

Thank you again for your help!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

We almost always stay in the Great Cruz Bay area. It's very convenient to both town & North Shore beaches. Chocolate Hole is past GCB, so you will have the same drive, just further. You can avoid going through downtown Cruz Bay. When you leave The Westin or Choc Hole heading toward town you will pass the fire station (on your left) before you get to the roundabout. If you take the first left at the roundabout you will go into town. If you take the second left (at the roundabout), that will take you past the Lumberyard Complex and down the hill. Take a right at the bottom of the hill (this allows you to bypass almost all downtown CB). You can do the same on your return from North Shore.

If you take the third left at the roundabout, that is Centerline Rd which takes you to Coral Bay. The fourth left takes you past Starfish Market and back to the Westin.

Hope that helps some.

Edited: 6:41 pm, March 26, 2013
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

We stayed at Infinity last year. It was great. Equal bedrooms, great pool and patio area, amazing views. Lots of room for people to spread out. All bedrooms have interior access. It is very modern, but extremely comfortable. The bathrooms were huge! Kitchen was perfect, even had a wine cooler. Only negative was the rather small parking area. We had two cars. One we would drive in and other we would back in and that worked great.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
316 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

If you make a wrong turn, and end up taking the least convenient route through town it will delay you for approximately three minutes.

Before our first trip I had many of the same concerns that are voiced in the OP and some that the poster probably never dreamed of. :)

Believe me when I say that everything will be alright. You probably would have trouble finding an area to stay in that you don't like, and after several visits (oh yeah, you'll be back) you may find that certain locations have attributes that outweigh those of others in your personal pecking order. For us, a lot of the adventure has been deciding for ourselves what we liked/valued the most. And that is likely a little different for us now than it was after our first, or even first few, visits.

We stayed just above VGE on Gifft Hill Rd. our first trip, and had no problems with the road - and it is much better now. You'll love it!

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

Virgin Grande is a great spot for your first visit. Convenient to everything. We stayed at Infinity this past June and loved it also. Not sure about the other villas except casa de sonadores is the very first house and its back yard is on the main road leading to Virgin Grande so probably not as peaceful.

Houston,TX
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

We just got back from our first trip to St. John. We stayed at Vista Cielo in VGE. North swells kept us to the East and South beaches for most of the week, but we would take a left onto 104 and head to Centerline to get anywhere we needed. We avoided town pretty much the whole week, except to go the the grocery store. The drive wasn't bad at all. I don't think we used 4wd all week.

Occidental...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

I have stayed at Kalorama several years ago and I wrote an extensive review of the house which you can see in by clicking on the link below on trip advisor. Hopeful my description will help you determine if Kalorama is right for your vacation. I have not stayed in any of the other villas you are considering but Kalorama is off the scale in my opinion. I hope my review helps.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k25202…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

Augie says it true, even pessimistically, Cruz Bay is not a big place. Calm yourself and pick something nice, you will have fun. I'm a fan of the Westen exposure - Great Cruz Bay, Chocolate Hole, Devers Bay, Hart Bay. Virgin Grande is above all this, but a good 15 minutes more driving over steep roads.

Virgin Grande has been a fun spot for us, but its not as convenient as the lower Western areas, above. In Virgin Grande Cocotier was awesome and Casa de Sonadores was a big old party.

Cheers, RickG

8. Re: Stay in Virgin Grande?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 13, 2014