We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

We are trying to decide on for our first trip to the island in August. My party is my fiancée and I and my parents. We are going for a family vaca/going to do research for my wedding in the summer of 2014. All of us have been to the island for a day or two on cruises but it is our first trip going for an extended time. After hours of searching and comparing, we have narrowed it down to Cinnamon Tarn and Villa Tamarindo. My fiancée loves the views/location of Cinnamon Tarn but my mother really wants a pool/AC. Anyone stayed at or seen either of these? Any opinions are much appreciated!! Thanks!

Chapin
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

I am not sure what part of the country you are from, but it is very hot in August. After a full day out and on the beach we have always enjoyed having a pool and A/C. My daughter has allergy issues too. So I would always vote on having A/C. FYI , as a mom myself, when mom is happy everyone is very happy! I have not stayed at either place, but ST. John is so magical, I am sure you will be happy wherever you stay. Good Luck and Congrats on your engagement. Please post pic if you get married there.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
534 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

Though Cinnamon Tarn does have amazing views, I agree with Cyndee that you will be much happier with AC and a pool in August. A pool is soooooo nice to have after a day at the beach or exploring...takes the edge right off:) AC (at least in the bedrooms) is also great to have (and I am not one to use it if unnecessary).

Congrats and have fun planning:)

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

A/C issue aside, there is no comparison between the views from Cinnamon Tarn and Tamarindo. Cinnamon Tarn has one of the best views on St John. It is very high up and the breeze flows right though it. You would not need A/C in August. Have stayed there twice in the summer without it. It is one great house.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

Views from Cinnamon Tarn definitely spectacular but lack of a pool is a deal killer. We spend most late afternoons around the pool relaxing and watching the Caribbean go by. No A/C in Catherineberg area is doable in August but if someone in your is adamant might be best to opt for A/C the first time.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

Views from Cinnamon Tarn definitely spectacular but lack of a pool is a deal killer. We spend most late afternoons around the pool relaxing and watching the Caribbean go by. No A/C in Catherineberg area is doable in August but if someone in your is adamant might be best to opt for A/C the first time.

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

We stayed in the Cinnamon Tarn for 8 days in August 2010. It remains one of our faves. You would think that in mid August on STJ you would HAVE to have AC. But honestly, you don't need it up there! The trade winds are constantly blowing, and with the all the doors and windows open, (screens shut) the breeze up there feels like the AC is on. We never were hot or uncomfortable. We actually used the huge hot tub as a pool to cool off when we needed it. But we are usually at the beach during the day, so a pool wasn't our #1 priority. The nights are very comfortable as well. The view from the Cinnamon Tarn is by far the BEST view we have ever had on STJ. And we have been visiting STJ for over 5 years. Hope this helps!

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

Cinnamon Tarn is now rented through Seaview Homes. When I went to the Vacationvistas website and could not find it, I thought Maybe it was sold. It has always been one of my favorites.

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

It was a really tough decision for us. Even though I really loved Cinnamon Tarn, the lack of pool was a deal breaker. We leave tomorrow so hopefully we made the right decision! We will know for next time by how much we actually use it. Thanks for everyone's input!

Sycamore, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

I am considering villa tamarindo for next January, I'm intereste to hear how you like it!

10. Re: Cinnamon Tarn or Villa Tamarindo...Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 10, 2014