We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
md
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

I just booked flights for May and got a great rate ($359) on AA. The catch is that we get in at 8:55pm. So...I need to stay on STT for one night. Any hotel recommendations? We are a family - grandparents, parents & 2 small kids (2 & 4) so safety is imperative. It would be nice to be close to the airport & CA ferry docks so we can leisure head over to STJ in the morning.

Thanks in advance!

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

We always arrive on Friday and spend the first night at the Emerald Beach Resort (Best Western), it is right next to the airport. It is not fancy, but the rooms are clean and the beach bar is always fun after a day of travelling.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

You could easily get to STJ - the ferries run till midnight - Might look into Carib Beach or Island Beachcomber, as well as Emerald for price.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

With the young kids definitely a good idea to spend the night on STT after a long day of travel. By the time you got luggage and taxi's to CA, took the ferry and got into the accomodations on STJ the kids would be exhausted. This way you will wake up refreshed and ready to start your day on STJ! We always spend the night at Best Western Emerald Beach if arriving later. Are you renting one car (that seats 6) or two vehicles? Are you renting on STT or STJ?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

i was curious too, we have done that flight, taxi to red hook and took the ferry to st. john but this was without our kids too. we will be traveling with them and probably arrive at this time as well. i was planning on staying one night so we could rent a car on STT (which we've also never done), pick up some groceries and head over on the car barge in the AM and not have to rush. when is your trip? i'd love to hear how it works out for you and what you decided to do.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

The Best Western Emerald Beach is adjacent to the airport. It is safe, pleasant, and completely acceptable for an overnight stay. I think it is better to stay near the airport than to navigate at night to another location.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

Another vote for Emerald Beach. Have a great trip!

md
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

Thank you everyone for your input! We will go with Emerald Beach. So now I have a question...do we walk over from the airport or take a taxi the .5 miles? Keep in mind it will be 9:30-10pm with small kids. In terms of the car rental & ferry...I looked at the CA schedule and it just doesn't offer a return trip that works with our flight home. So I think our best bet is to stay at Emerald Beach and then pick up our car and head to Red Hook the next day. Should be a nice relaxing way to ease into our vacation!!!

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

When we did this we rented from Discount and got our car the same evening we arrived so we didn't have to worry about the taxi or walking to Emerald (we have 3 kids). We had to pay the DIscount guy a tip of $20 for the evening jeep drop-off but it was still less expensive than doing the taxi and we didn't have to deal with the car in the morning. We woke up, had breakfast, shopped at cost-u-less and then headed to the car barge. It was great having the jeep and being on island time from the moment we landed. Both mu husband and I agree that anytime we land after 4 PM this is the way to go. No need to rush and worry about missing the last car barge if our flights or luggage are delayed.

AT 10 PM with luggage and 2 small kids personally I think the 1/2 mile walk will seem farther. And it is a dark walk. Personally, I wouldn't do it with kids in tow.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

I wouldn't walk it no matter the time. Take a taxi, its cheap.

Mike in Tulsa

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late flight into STT...need a hotel recommendation

Rent from discount, have them pick you up at airport that night. Stay at best emerald. Wake up happy!