We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sail versus motorized

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Sail versus motorized

Is either one better for those who suffer from motion sickness? I am looking to book a snorkeling trip around St. John, but several family members are prone to motion sickness. I will have them start medication a day or two prior, but I would like to be able to reassure them that one or the other may be or is 'better'.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sail versus motorized

We've been on both and prefer the sailboat when available. What gets to some members of my family are the fumes from the motor. My son in law was in the back of the boat and started feeling queasy. When we moved him to the front of the boat, away from the engine, he did fine.

Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sail versus motorized

To minimize motion sickness I'd recommend a catamaran. A large catamaran feels a lot like riding on the ferry boat. (And if your loved ones felt queasy on the ferry , I'd just skip the boat ride and enjoy the local beaches.)

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sail versus motorized

I can't comment on motion sickness but you can get to more places on a motor boat. You will relax more on a sail boat. The diesel fumes on the ferries are sickening.

Level Contributor
6,718 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sail versus motorized

Sailboats tend to be much better for people who suffer from motion sickness and as stated above, a catamaran is more stable than a monohull. But, the downside is you cannot cover as much distance on a sailboat.

There are many shore snorkels you can do without subjecting people who get seasick to a boat trip.

5. Re: Sail versus motorized

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 27, 2014