We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms in July

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
Thunderstorms in July

I'm actually hoping to get a good thunderstorm, preferably evening, as I think they are fascinating. We will have a great view from One Particular Harbor in high up in Coral Bay.

Is there a pretty good chance we'll get one? We have a covered porch and I would also like to do an extended exposure photo during one.

Thanks!

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms in July

Well, it is hurricane season so yes, you've got a good chance of getting a some type of storm.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms in July

July is a lie as the saying goes but tropical storms have developed in every month of the year except January so one might deduce that the only time it's NOT hurricane season is January. The peak of tropical storm season is mid September.

Forecasting the weather or likelihood for a thunderstorm activity is best left to the experts(?) and we all know how well they do the job (insert chuckles and chortles here).

I am going to be respectfully contrary to the earlier poster and suggest the chances are very low for an electrical storm.

If you like them you might consider a vacation anywhere around Tampa Bay, only problem with that idea is a lack of hillside villas. Villas they may have but there is a dearth of hills.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,203 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderstorms in July

I'll second Tom on that. We really don't see a lot of electrical storms here but they certainly are quite spectacular when you have a clear expanse of sky and water framing them. Maybe you'll get lucky!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderstorms in July

We stayed at OPH and that view is AMAZING! Let me know if you have any questions.

I lived on STJ for 5 years and have visiting for 10+ and have only experienced 1 thunderstorm.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderstorms in July

I had an afterthought I'd like to share.

If you take the first response and average it with my second response the results are come up to a maybe; and you can take that answer to the bank.

Edited: 8:17 am, February 22, 2013
Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thunderstorms in July

Yes, a definite maybe-- but the chances are much better June through October than winter or spring. Some years there are rather a lot, others scarcely any..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thunderstorms in July

Thanks for all the great responses. I know it can rain pretty much anytime for a short while, but didn't know how probable a good thunderstorm would be as the temperature doesn't fluctuate as much as here in the states.

What got me hoping for a storm was someone who posted pictures of the clouds and mist in the mountains during a rainfall. It was quite stunning even with it being so overcast.

Tink, can you let me know what amenities OPH had? I'm hoping for coffee maker, radio to take outside by pool, cooler to take to beach, pool floats, etc. I never rented a villa before, so I don't know what is standard.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thunderstorms in July

All of that but a radio for by the pool. There is an iPod dock in the kitchen that I am sure you can bring down.

The views are amazing!

Send me a PM with any other questions! Happy to help

9. Re: Thunderstorms in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014