We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat with Captain in September

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Boat with Captain in September

I know this has been talked about before on these forums, but me and my fiance are going to be in St. John the 1st week of September and are looking to rent a boat and a captain to take us around the USVI/BVI. I've been told Ocean Runner is great, but is it worth the money?

Also, can a day trip be made leaving from Cruz Bay to go to The Baths, Willy T's and Jost Van Dyke (Soggy Dollar)?

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat with Captain in September

Check out this trip.

www.threelittlefish.com

It's a chartered boat with a captain. I go on this trip whenever I can afford to. I live on the island and have rented rental boats with captains and was not really thrilled with the service or the condition of the boats. They are fishing boats and don't really have adequate shade or comfortable seating. Fuel costs on the rental boats are very expensive because they mostly have 2 stroke motors.

I found three little fish last year and they are good at what they do. Gas for our full day trip was $175 and we went to the Bath's. I rented a rental boat for a half day and burned the same amount of fuel on a much smaller boat.

Check out the site and e-mail them. Enjoy!

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat with Captain in September

My wife and I just got back from St. John. We rented a boat with a captain through Trevor Sichel. He can be reached at activities@bestofusvi.com We went to Tortola to swim with the dolphins, then went snorkeling around the Norman Islands, over to the Willy T for lunch, followed by an afternoon at the Soggy Dollar and Ivan's Stress Free Bar on Jost Van Dyke. To rent the boat for the day including gas was $520. The dolphin swim and lunch and not included in that price however I would highly recommend doing it.. Trevor was very easy to work with and set the whole thing up from dolphin swim to boat and captain rental. It sounds like a lot of money but when you break it down stop by stop and consider that most tours will not take you to Ivan's or the Willy T without doing multiple days the price is pretty good.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
NJ
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat with Captain in September

For folks that are going to St John this June, 2006 - are there any troubles without Passports and just birthcertificates/raised seal of course with your photo id at customs in St. Thomas/St. John? Just checking as ours may not arrive in time for our early July trip. (4 weeks). We just got notification 2 days ago and ran to the PO to start the procedure. There is a rush in NJ post offices for the passports. Have you heard anyone having trouble (or not)? Thanks so much for the information!

Hillsborough, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat with Captain in September

My wife and I went down there in May and had zero trouble getting through customs in St Thomas on the way home.

The guy asked for passports and we told him that we had the birth certificates and driver license. He said "no problem" and 3 minutes later we were on our way through security.

I will say though, that we didn't leave St John during our visit so we weren't worried about having them for other things - BVI, etc...

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
5. Re: Boat with Captain in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 16, 2009