We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
269 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
airfare

Last year I got airfare for about $450 from msp to stt. Its about $490 right now....But I booked last year in late march/early april for an end of may flight. Do you think they will go back down after January? I feel like a lot of people plan trips now because its so cold and that maybe the price will go down a bit? Any insight? I know I should buy soon but I want the best price! ugh...

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airfare

Buy now. $40 more than last year is a good price. No one can predict pricing but airlines are cutting back on seats and filling planes faster so IMO waiting can really cost you.

B.

Billings, MT
Level Contributor
224 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airfare

It's certainly a crap shoot in my opinion...who the heck knows what airfares will do..even day to day! I have to say I envy you though...we bought ours a month or so ago because they finally got down to $800..and we were excited :)

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,483 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airfare

I would buy now. I have paid less from CT but I have also paid much more so when there is a price that I am comfortable paying, I book it. I feel like lately, they rarely come down or if they do, the flight times are terrible.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airfare

I say buy now too. Some airlines like JetBlue will credit you if the price goes down after you purchased it. I just traveled from CT last month and I bought six tickets two days after the fares were released. They consistently increased and never decreased to less than what I paid.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airfare

For a crazy story. I just bought 2 tickets from ORD - FCO (Rome). The day after I bought my tickets they went up $1000 a ticket and have stayed there. It seems once the cheap tickets are gone.... they are gone.

B

Roseville, MN
Level Contributor
115 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airfare

Buy now. We bought ours in December for a May trip of this year when they were $530. I have been looking off and on at the prices now and they have been holding at $880 for the same dates and departure times. We feel very luckey!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airfare

As we all suggested in December, buy em now, Nathan!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airfare

Buy now. My tickets from Dulles to STT cost $530 and now are up to $1200 for the fantastic non-stop flight. Grab good flight times at reasonable fares when you can.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
546 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airfare

Another vote for BUY NOW! You cannot predict what will happen with airfares. Much of it depends on unsold inventory. I wouldn't count on that for flights to St. Thomas as flights are often full any time of year.

We just switched from frequent flier tickets to paid tickets because I found a great price ($350) from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas in March. When you see a price you can live with, book it!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
269 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airfare

Just found tickets for $340 on American. Only one layover in Miami! No non stops from Minneapolis but this is very cheap! I have booked. Can't wait to be back.