We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does St John sound good for us?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Does St John sound good for us?

amily of five trying to pick a spot for trip in late March....usually go somewhere different each year, and have traveled to St Maartens, Barbados, Cuba , Grand Cayman and Turks and Caicos... we like of course nice beaches and snorkeling, preferably off shore....Cayman and Turks were both unreal and we are considering return to Turks , but accommodations and food are pretty pricey...with 3 kids we usually get a villa/condo style as we love the extra room, getting your own groceries etc.....have been looking at some places, but is difficult to find a place that features nice sandy beaches like Turks or Cayman and also great snorkeling in other nearby areas....like to stay on the beach if possible, not sure if this is possible here...just wondering your thoughts, I gues you fly into St Thomas and ferry here?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

St John sounds perfect except for the part of staying on the beach (in a villa). There are very few villas right on the beach so you end up driving to different beaches but you will find the best off shore snorkeling on STJ over all the places you mentioned.

B.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
410 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

I agree with Booyakasha, not too many Villas on the beach. But you will LOVE this island. We have been going to Saint John for over 20 years and just love it! We never tire of this beautiful island!! Go!!!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

Sounds like a great fit but you need o rent your jeep for this March NOW (you might not find one at this late date)

Pia

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

Agreed. We too have been going for many years and we never tire of STJ. We've been to lots of other islands as well and everytime we say "it's just not St John". I can't say STJ will be cheaper, but the beauty of the island, the many beautiful beaches (you can go to two a day and still not see them all in a week), and the easy snorkeling from shore keeps us going back year after year. Check www.stjohnusvi.com for lots of info regarding villa management & jeep rental companies as well as lots of other info.

Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

thanks for quick replies....does VRBO work good for here?...probably need a 3 bedroom condo/villa if possible...is there a certain area to look for

Edited: 11:26 am, January 11, 2013
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

Yes, you can use VRBO, but don't limit yourself to VRBO. I've used:

www.vacationvistas.com

www.caribbeanvilla.com

www.destinationstjohn.com

www.islandgetawaysinc.com

and some others. There is a complete list on www.stjohnusvi.com

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

I just had this conversation, almost exact, with a business contact and this is what I told them.

I wake up in the morning and enjoy coffee and breakfast at my villa enjoying the sweeping views.

I pack the cooler with food and drinks, pack the beach bag with towels, etc., load the beach chairs in the jeep and head out.

Pick a beach and settle in for the day.

Around 2ish we pack up and stop in town for an adult beverage and a snack or some shopping.

Back to the villa to clean up for dinner out or to make dinner in.

End the evening star gazing on the deck.

Next day, lather, rinse, repeat

The person I spoke to said "Nope, that is not for us at all. having to drive to a beach would not work for us" They are going back to Turks.

STJ is not perfect for everyone but it is perfect for me!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

We are leaving tomorrow morning for our 2nd trip. Loved it so much last year, we can't wait to get back. For us (no kids) driving was not an issue, it was fun to see the island and great to experience a different beach each day. All had fascinating snorkeling and each was different. Granted beach access is nice, but it is the same beach each day. We talked one of our adult sons and his girlfriend into joining us there this year. I'm sure they will love it too!

I echo Tinkerbelldee's comment --absolutely perfect -- for us! You've got only good choices so it will be great whatever you choose.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

Just to pop in and add a couple of things, I don't know the sandy beaches of the Turks and Cayman but rest assured that the sand (and the water and the snorkeling right off the beaches) here will more than meet your expectations wherever you may have traveled!

If you DO decide on St John and find the right spot and IF you have problems finding a vehicle rental on St John itself you can do what many do - rent on St Thomas and take the car barge over to St John. There are numerous posts on the subject on this forum if it comes to that - just use the search engine (change the search to "by date") and you'll find all the information you need on that subject. This works particularly well for a group such as yours when you can stop en route to the ferry to shop on STT for your basics where both the selections and prices are generally better than on STJ.

Have fun planning!

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does St John sound good for us?

We are avid snorkelers and beach goers. Our favorite place was Providenciales before we discovered St John. We loved Provo but we love St John even more. The snorkeling in Provo was good, however we like the variety of beaches and snorkeling in St John. We can head to a different beach each day. We also like how St John is more laid back and find that renting a jeep and exploring the island is fun.