We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental here or in St. Thomas

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
188 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental here or in St. Thomas

My husband and myself are planning a March stay. We won't get to STT until 4:30ish..we plan to take ferry to St. John. Two fold question:

1) Should we rent a car here on STT or take a ferry over to St. John and then get car? I was trying to find out what a taxi ride will cost us from the airport to the ferry and then from ferry to our condo? I would then compare this price with a car rental even though there will only be a few hours left in the day, it might be worth just renting the car.

2) Or do we just stay on STT for the night, rent car the next day? Then we have to pay for taxi from STT to hotel, taxi fee from hotel to rental car or ferry and then get the car at the ferry or do we have to taxi again to rental company?

What is most cost effective....this is frustrating me...

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental here or in St. Thomas

here is link to taxi rates, this should help

vinow.com/stthomas/…

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental here or in St. Thomas

If your flight is delayed and you rent a car in STT then you will not be able to take it on the ferry that night to STJ. In my opinion, you should reserve a car in STJ from a company that will service you if you arrive late like Courtesy. The passenger ferry runs late while the car ferry does not. Also take in consideration what will happen if you have mechanical problems with the car- I think its much easier to deal with a STJ car rental company. Several years ago, we had a problem with the car's alarm not turning off. We simply drove the car to the rental company and very easily switched cars. It would be a bigger hassle if we rented from STT. There was a post within the last few months that is a good example. Her flight was supposed to arrive 4:30 but due to a mechanical problem was delayed 4 hours and they had to saty in STT for the night because they reserved their car there.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
188 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental here or in St. Thomas

Very helpful thought! Thank you! What does it cost for taxis on stj? I mean do they go by a set minute rate or negotionable ?

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental here or in St. Thomas

Check out the above vinow link and click St John- the rates are fixed. But most people rent a jeep/car because taxis only go to limited areas.

5. Re: Car rental here or in St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, January 06, 2014