We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth Leaving Caneel?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
259 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Worth Leaving Caneel?

I know this type of question gets old but...

Does anyone have advice on the best places to eat or even just do happy hour/cocktails in Cruz Bay?

My hubby and I have waited ten years to return to Caneel and it will be hard to motivate him to leave the resort. I want to get out more, since Caneel is pretty quiet and we havent done much outside of a quick trip through Mongoose Junction. If you were at Caneel and ventured out for drinks, where would you be dying to go?!

Thanks!!

Second Honeymooners

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

I'm going to do a week in Caneel shortly and I'm a planner.

Dinners:

2 meals at Turtle Bay Estate House

1 meal at Zo-Zos

1 meal at Fatty Crab

1 meal at the Terrace

2 meals at Caneel's Beach Bar

We have a B&B rate so bkfsts on property.

Lunches, if and when on an as needed basis. One in STT, one in mongoose.

Edited: 10:18 pm, December 19, 2012
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

I would do dinners off property for sure:

Rhumblines

Zozos

I also like the pizza and homemade pastas at Da Livio

Lime Inn

I would hit the following for lunch or happy hour:

Beach Bar

Tap Room

Sun Dog Cafe

A lunch at Caneel Beach Terrace (on the upper deck) is great too.

I personally don't make a point to do dinners at Caneel because I prefer the atmosphere and choices in Cruz Bay.

If we have the breakfast buffet, we sometimes skip lunch and do an early dinner.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

For drinks only?

Zozo's for sunset. The bar is on the 2nd floor and there are a number of seating areas with cocktail tables (and table service). It is a nice place to relax and watch the sunset.

There is a new-ish bar in town, Motu, Mutu or something similar, that looks nice. As far as I know, it is just a bar, no food.

We will be down in February and will do the opposite, come to Caneel for cocktails!

Edited: 8:45 am, December 20, 2012
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

10 years is a long time, I'd say you've got to get into Cruz Bay and have lunch and check out all the new stores. Also, try Asolare for drinks and a nice sunset dinner. Chateau Bordeaux would be a great choice to and the views can't be beat.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

Caneel is a beautiful resort and I can see why you might think you don't have to leave but the island itself is one of the reasons that Caneel is so special and to not see what is has to offer is a shame.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
259 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

Thanks everyone! There was some good information about Motu online-

7. Re: Worth Leaving Caneel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 23, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. John