We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
airfare

I noticed airfare to st Thomas is very cheap right now? Do you think it will stay cheap through Christmas? Anyone have experience buying a airfare now for spring? I would think they go up very soon but waiting for a xmas gift haha. A very good one of airfare to the islands. Second time! Went this past may and going again but longer!

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: airfare

When the lowest fare is important; I use:

itasoftware.com

As best I can gather, this was an MIT computer-sci project that developed software that many consolidators currently use.

The amount of data can be a little overwhelming, but you will get the lowest airfare for the route that you seek. You then must go to the particular airlines site to book the fare that is listed for the route that you punched in.

Edited: 6:17 pm, December 15, 2012
NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: airfare

Corrected link:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: airfare

exactly what I was looking for!

THANKS!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: airfare

Ive noticed bing.com travel is pretty good at predicting if a price is going to drop or go up. I saw 479 a couple weeks ago and it said it was dropping by 50+. Ended up at 410 a few days later

New Jersey
Level Contributor
467 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: airfare

Yes I noticed this too. United's airfare for next fall (Oct/Nov) is very reasonable. I actually just booked tickets today at $417 pp. I have never seen it that cheap that far ahead. I would do it now if you can.

Unfortunately I am waiting to book airfare to Key West in March because right now they want $700+ each! I guess that's what happens when you want to go to the Keys during Spring Break. I'm hoping it will drop after the holidays.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: airfare

My goodness, look at all those Twin Cities folk coming out of the woodwork! Hi, neighbors!

I'm planning a (barely possible) trip for early summer and wondering the same thing. From what I've seen so far, if you're committed to flying Delta it's hard to find anything anytime under $600. If you're willing to fly American there are some deals to be had. Our September trip was more or less last-minute based on low airfares - I think it was about $450 with 2 stops. Not the most reliable airline in the world, but all the delays kind of cancelled each other out and we got there more or less on time.

I've signed up for airfare watch from Kayak, which sends me notifications on my iPhone when fares fall below a certain point. The lowest fares I've seen on these notices are American - occasionally below $400.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: airfare

We are traveling from the Twin Cities too! Going in

In April. 7 of us booked in August on American for $600. Just yesterday had two more wanting to join us. Booked them on Delta for $650.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: airfare

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ has been repackaged with a snappier user interface as http://www.google.com/flights

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: airfare

Yeah I saw that, but didn't care for the lack of filters.

20. Re: airfare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, January 07, 2014