We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Car Rental - FYI

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Car Rental - FYI

Visited St. John a few weeks ago and wanted to pass along a review on Paris Car Rental as I hadn't seen much out there.

I asked about the special on the website which is what brought me to their attention and figured it was worth saving a couple of bucks. Girl there was on one of her first few days and obliged happily to provide the 20% discount. I told her it was my first time visiting the island and may jump over the BVI for a day or two but wasn't sure at this point and was hopeful I could rent day to day. Not a problem. Filled out the forms, marked damage on the vehicle, and was off in a 2dr jeep with 5k miles on it. I ended up calling back the next day and extending for the duration of my trip as I quickly realized I didn't have enough time to even see everything on St. John so no reason to go to the BVIs. Everything smooth, no problem.

On returning the vehicle, I presume the owner had a completely different attitude. I filled the tank and went straight to drop off. He was blunt, unpleasant, abbrasive,.... We reviewed the car in detail and he said there was a bump on the bumper that was not marked (and it wasn't). I told him I know for a fact I never hit anything and there were several bumps on both the front and rear when I was reviewing the first time. He said it not matter as it was not marked and it would cost $50 to repair. I reiterated that I had dont no damage and he explained that the plastic bumpers are so easily dented that we could make a dent with just the pressure of one finger. Of course I replied, if a bumper is that easily dented does it warrant a charge when could easily pay for a new bumper of that quality. Back and forth and I relented and paid.

Then he told me I was not entitled to the 20% discount because that was only for at least 4 day rentals and it was clearly marked on the website....but don't worry it wasn't my fault and he will make the employee pay for the difference as she must learn the right way to do business. I told him I did rent for 4 days in total but he said that did not matter...

So not the worst story but not the best. I at least wanted to throw that out there as I had not seen much on them before I rented but rolled the dice anyways. Next time, I will happily pay more for the reputation and customer service..

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

I booked through Paris in January when they were advertising a 40% off special on their website. Lady I booked through was quite pleasant and assured me I would get the discounted price. Called to confirm now that its getting closer to my trip and spoke with a man who said he was manager/owner. The price was way off from when I booked in January so I told him that I was supposed to be getting the 40% off discount. He proceeded to tell me they never had any such thing and that I was a liar. I had to cancel because of how aggressive and intensely rude this man was to me. He had me in a funk all morning until my aunt who lives on the island made me a new reservation with Best Car Rental. I am not sure what the deal is with that man but he wont be getting my business and he made such a horrible impression that I will urge you to stay away so that you don't have to go through the same thing.

12. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, March 21, 2014
Schererville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

We rent from Paris Car rental every time we visit St. john, and we have NEVER had a bad experience. In fact we can not say enough good things about them. We have had nothing but pleasant and courteous employee dealings. Our battery went dead, and within 30 mins someone was at our rental home to jump us, and we were quite aways away from their office. Wonderful experiences and will continue to recommend them and continue to rent from them as well!

Edited: 6:13 pm, July 29, 2013
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

It sounds like the customer experience varies radically depending on which employee (or owner) you happen to encounter. We rented from Paris on recent vacation and it went fine, but we had no dealings with the belligerent man described by some of the other posters (thank goodness).

A woman took my reservation by phone. She was very pleasant, and gave me the 20% summer discount that is usually posted on the website. However, she seemed uncertain of the details of the special offer, and asked me to read it to her from the web page! This seemed a little sketchy, but I got email confirming the price we had discussed on the phone and they stood by it.

When we picked up our car, the person in the office was a young lady who said she was the owner's sister. She was very nice, although she said she was just covering for her brother so she wasn't quite sure of some of the procedures. However, we got the car quickly and it seemed to be in good shape. She couldn't answer basic questions like, "Where is the jack, in case we have to change a tire?" but another employee wandered by at that point who knew the answer.

We went in one more time to add my daughter as a 2nd driver, which also went smoothly. A different young lady was at the desk that day.

When we returned the car, there was yet ANOTHER young woman working. Again, no problems, but her inspection of the car seemed very cursory. I hope the owner doesn't decide after the fact that we scratched the bumper or something.

Bottom line - everything went fine and we got an excellent price on a good vehicle. But there is something a little ... unsettling about this place. Too many part-time employees or family members who aren't quite sure how stuff works, so the outcome of any customer interaction has an element of unpredictability.

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

We rented from Paris last month during our first trip to St. John. We ended up with them because other rental agents recommended by our hotel were already booked, even though I began the car rental search 5 weeks in advance of our trip. We rented the car for 8 days.

The Jeep Patriot they offered us was quite scratched and dented and the upholstery was badly stained and unsightly but we didn't complain. When we drove away there was a bad noise from the engine and the owner said it needed work on the alternator so he offered us a much-nicer, newer Jeep Wrangler (same price) telling us to bring it back in 4 days to exchange for the Patriot. No apology was offered us by the owner.

It was inconvenient for us to return to the agency after 4 days and we would have preferred to use the Wrangler until the end of our rental period but we were denied that request so we went back for the exchange, filled out more paperwork, and complied without any complaint about the inconvenience. Again, no apology from the agent was offered.

The old Patriot sounded as if the transmission might fall onto the road at any moment and the low tire pressure light never went out, but we got through the final 4 days without incident.

However, when we brought back the car with 5/8 tankful of gas, as required, the woman at the counter said that we had only filled it to 1/2 tank and insisted that we either pay a $50 fine or go back for more gas which we did. Again, they offered no apology and we did not argue, we simply complied and bought a bit more gas.

Conclusion: this lack of common customer service seemed truly atonishing in consideration of all the inconvience we had already experienced from them, all of which we accepted without protest. It seems that the only good manners in this whole transaction were ours. Needless to say, when we return to St. John next year we will find another car rental agency!

Schererville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

We just returned from St. John again this year and we have never rented anywhere but from Paris. We have NEVER had a single problem with them. Always extremely pleasant and courteous. Crystal and Janice are the best! Thanks again for yet another wonderful experience!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

I just returned from St. John and rented from Paris. The Wrangler was in good shape and had 15500 miles on it. The tires were a bit worn but handled even the toughest hills during TS Bertha no problem. I got the 20% summer discount. Drop off was easy and they dropped me off by the ferry dock as requested. I would use them again.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

Is that 20% off the listed off season price?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

NJSurfsup - Yes it is on their website. You have to ask for it when making the reservation.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Paris Car Rental - FYI

Thank you, that would be significantly less so something to consider.