We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Invest 98L is headed near St. John

Plaistow, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
Invest 98L is headed near St. John

We will be arriving Saturday October 13th, the afternoon before what will probably be named as Tropical Storm Patty makes its closest approach to St. John. This morning, the ensemble track passed right through Tortola, but as of 8 PM Wednesday the averaged track has shifted ~150 miles eastward. Still, given its size, we are likely in for a blow, and an overflowing cistern. Others traveling soon (TnCGator?) might want to be aware of this.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... model.html

Kevin

Edited: 9:39 pm, October 10, 2012
St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

We now have a Tropical Storm Warning, and a Flash Flood Watch in effect. If you want to keep up on all the USVI alerts, you can go to www.vialert.gov and sign up for the alerts to be text to your phone. They will text with any watches, warnings, closings, shelter openings, disruption in services, even WAPA power outages! Here is the link to the most recent alert: vialert.gov/Public/News/AllHazPRView.aspx…

They are predicting 3-5 inches of rain through Sunday. Currently, it is not raining, and I can see the stars :) But it has been raining on and off since yesterday late morning with lots of sunshine in between downpours. Hopefully Rafael brings us much needed rain and passes by without incident.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

It's a lovely quiet morning on St Thomas and although conditions are likely to deteriorate as the day goes on, it seems that the majority of "the weather" will be much later on in the day and overnight. Doubt very much that flights will be affected and neither will the ferry schedules. It's just a little passing storm and nothing to panic about!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

Coast Guard closed the ferry ports at 8am this morning

Pia

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

*Update* Just posted that the US Coast Guard closed the ports prematurely and have reopened them and will reassess throughout the day.

Pia

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

And here it is, Sunday early morning, and I see the stars in the sky, there is no wind, no rain. Not sure what the day will bring, but they now have the storm tracking North and it might miss us all together. There are still warnings, but they didn't impose a curfew or a price freeze. So I guess we will just have to wait and see what Rafael decides to do today.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

Warnings have been lifted, the storm is moving away and I barely had a sprinkle on the North side of STT. The cloud cover is giving way to blue skies and the sun is peeking through. Maybe some "backlash showers" during the day but basically a nice fizzle for us after a little easterly switch in direction. Enjoy your vacations, visitors!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

Glad that it's moving away. I have been watching via webcams and I was wondering what was going on. Looks great this morning.

Wish I was there.

18. Re: Invest 98L is headed near St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 15, 2013