We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estate Zootenvaal?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Estate Zootenvaal?

Hello all,

anyone stayed here recently that could give advice as to whether it's a good place to be or not?

4 first time travelers to St. John. A couple in their late 60's and one in their 30's. We don't mind driving and would prefer to enjoy a little more isolation than I'm guessing Cruz Bay gives? But that said, we will only be in St. John for 3 nights and I am worried that we are locating ourselves too far away. We won't have too much time to spend enjoying the accommodations anyway...

Going late November. Budget @ $450/night for 2BR place.

Thoughts or advice appreciated!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

Yeah, kinda out there on theast End but really not too far from Coral Bay. I alway see the sign for Zootenvaal on my way out to Vie's. Looks like an older house. The roads are steep and fun to drive out that way.

2. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:38 pm, June 10, 2014
United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
192 reviews
3. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

It's a collection of houses, some directly on small beach. It's very isolated, on a section of the road surrounded by the Park. They have a loyal following. It's for sale if you have several millions....

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
161 reviews
4. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

We will be there at the same time. Which house and what are the dates.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
649 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

Please write up a review when you return. Such an interesting looking place yet I only saw one car parked there as we passed by several times during our last Coral Bay trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

"But that said, we will only be in St. John for 3 nights and I am worried that we are locating ourselves too far away. We won't have too much time to spend enjoying the accommodations anyway"

IMHO, i think you are setting yourself up for more travel and less enjoyment.

three days two nights? stay close to cruz and enjoy the north shore beaches.

A two bedroom condo/suite at Lavender Hill will get you walking distance to shops restaurants easy taxi access to best north shore beaches etc...

Once you get your feet wet you may want to come back and for longer, than do the secluded villa thing.... just my opinion but since you are already questioning it stick with your gut.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

We passed Zootenvaal in February and slowed down for a look. It is really out there and I agree with the other poster, for three nights I would look into something closer to the North Shore Beaches.

Estate Lindhom is a bit out of town and gets good reviews. Grande Bay might also be worth a look, in town with the advantage of being able to walk to dinner. Same with Gallows.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
8. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

We stayed in Sunrise and Turtle Watch, and they are splendid, terrific, the best ever! We really enjoyed being away from Cruz Bay, and the drives to Cinnamon Bay, Waterlemon bay for snorkeling were not bad at all. The swimming, kayaking and snorkeling from the beach at Sunrise was some of the best we did--and there were no other people ruining the coral. It was an easy hike from the cottages to Brown Bay, which also had great snorkeling. Coral Bay is close, and has great restaurants and a two small markets to but supplies. Robin, the manager, arranged our rental car, so when we walked off the ferry, we were picked up and got our car right away. We did our major grocery shopping in Cruz Bay before driving to the cottages. Robin also loaned snorkeling gear to those of us that didn't have our own. There is a place in Coral Bay (Crabby Doug's) that rents all sorts of water sports equipment. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is your gas tanks--the only gas station on the island is in Cruz Bay. So, we thought the distance was an advantage for a quiet, peaceful vacation. And the accommodations are absolutely superb.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
200 posts
9. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

If you're into an easy snorkel Zootenval might work for you. There is a nice little reef and beach right there. I like that area. It's a 30 - 40 minute drive from town but that's not really that far.

You can do your shopping at the Love City mini mart. Food is more expensive. Booze is cheap. A good trade off!

10. Re: Estate Zootenvaal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. John