We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterlemon Cay

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
150 posts
74 reviews
Waterlemon Cay

First trip to St John in July> Do I snorkel Waterlemon Cay Clockwise or counterclockwise to minimize current on return trip?

Austin
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
7 reviews
21. Re: Waterlemon Cay

thanks bluewater!

any chance a person could kayak from the beach, land the kayak on the Cay, and then snorkel around it? my daughter is a strong swimmer but I think she might be too intimidated to swim from the beach out to the Cay.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
6 reviews
22. Re: Waterlemon Cay

I don't see why not. Except, where is she going to get the kayak?

If you hike as far as you can, the swim out to the cay is about 350-400 yds. There is a sandy point on the cay that you can stop & rest if you want or she could pull the kayak up there.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
3 reviews
23. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Really, it's less than half that distance--about 500 feet to the sand bar, by my fairly careful measurement on Google Maps.

If you are taking a kayak, though, assuming you're hauling it on your vehicle, you'll want to put it in the water near where you park (well west of the island) to avoid lugging it all the way out the road.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
6 reviews
24. Re: Waterlemon Cay

wpsaukee - I'm terrible about estimating distance. If Google says it's 500 feet, it must be true...

Austin
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
7 reviews
25. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Well, I had been thinking we could take a kayak from Caneel Bay, but after looking at the map again, I'm realizing that it is way too far of a trip by paddle.

Couldn't do 400 yards, but 500 feet we can do.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
36 reviews
26. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Bump, because Sunday's was the second death at Waterlemon since July. Let's remember these people who've died and warn perspective snorkelers to bring a floatation device of some sort, and a buddy.

Some people don't research much before their trip. They could stumble upon these post, note a laissez faire attitude and head out like it's well-guarded Trunk Bay. I'm so very sad to think about these people and their families :(

concord
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
27. Re: Waterlemon Cay

We did Waterlemon back in early January. Rented a dinghy in town and drove it out to the tie-ups right near the island. It made the trip a lot easier. We also purchased a noodle from Cruz Bay Watersports and my teen used it for extra support.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
28. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Counterclockwise, there is very little current to fight this way.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
304 posts
16 reviews
29. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Part of the problem is that if it's a very calm day on the day that you were there, then comments like " there's very little current if you go counterclockwise" could lead someone to think that it's true all of the time.

We've done this at least twenty times, and there are days that it's like swimming in a pool and days that the current had me concerned about getting back to shore!

Ask others that are there, swim with a buddy, pay attention to the current, and don't feel foolish about calling off the snorkel if you feel at all uncomfortable.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
7 reviews
30. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Excellent advice Augiegator. I wish everyone was as common sense as you.

Get answers to your questions about St. John