We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive Operators on East End

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dive Operators on East End

Anybody have recommendations for a dive operator near Coral Bay? I tried calling Coral Bay Watersports, East End Divers and St. John Dive Adventures yesterday and go no answers from any of them.

new york
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive Operators on East End

Jondoe,

None of thosse dive operations exsist anymore and there are no others on the Coral Bay side of the island. This past visit my husband and I rented gear from LowKey in Cruz Bay and went shore diving on our own. Kiddle,Lamshure and Haulover Bay are easy entry for diving.

jofus

sft
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive Operators on East End

Yes those dont exist anymore as far as I can tell aswell. I will be going there in May and have found the following operators: Cruz Bay Watersports, Low Key Watersports, Paradise Diving and 6paqscuba.

All of those are very similar type operations with the exception of 6paq who only take 6 people max and also do longer trips to sites farther out as well. They do short trips as well that the other operators do as well. If you want wreck diving its the best off St Thomnas or do the Rhone trip in BVI waters, all operators do this. I think I will book with 6paq and hopefully arrange a long trip for one day to do wreck diving on the south side of St Thomas. If you want reef diving I guess all are good, they all go to similar sites, again (exception of 6paq longer trips). 6paq does cost more but this is probably expected for such a small op. Basically if you want a dive op on that side because its closer to you, your out of luck, if you want one on that side to dive the sites there then try 6paq for a longer trip and see what they say, they all leave out the cruz bay site. Low key I think are the most recommended out of the rest for regular shorter trips I beleive. Hope this helps. Just google the names of the companies above and youll get their websites.

sft
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive Operators on East End

I meant all ops do the Rhone trip but not the St Thomas wreck trips, gotta arrange for a long day with 6paq for this and you have to be the first to book for that day (that way since you booked that day first you get to choose where you want to do your diving). This is what they told me and I am trying to book a trip with them and be the first ones for the day so I can make sure I get some St Thomas wrecks in as well by requesting to go there. Rhone trip is supposed to be really good too (best wreck around), check out the operators websites. www.divestjohn.com, www.divelowkey.com, www.paradisevi.com, www.6paqscuba.com

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive Operators on East End

St. John Dive Adventures is open. We dove with them last month and had a great time. I do understand from visiting with Larry that the business recently changed ownership and phone numbers. That might explain when you called previously with no answer. We had a wonderful time. They are a smaller outfit which made the outing much more relaxing and fun. They also dive sites that the Cruz Bay dive operations don't regularly (or ever) visit. You definitely should give them a try. I think their website is stjohndiveadventures.com

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive Operators on East End

To answer my own question, St. John Dive Adventures is the only full-time dive operator on the East End. We just got back from a week in STJ. My wife and I dove 1 day with Larry, the new owner of St. John Dive Adventures. As noted earlier, the business has recently changed hands. Larry is working steadily to remodel the boat. The boat and all dive equipment seemed to be in good condition. Although he is the new owner of this business, Larry has an excellent knowledge of the diving in the area. I wanted to go to Eagle Shoals, but the water was too rough so Larry took us to Flannigan Island and Newfound Bay. Flannigan was nice with some beatiful rock canyons, a couple of shallow swim throughs, and colorful, healthy corals. Newfound Bay was the better of the two sites that day and quite a pleasant surprise. It was a little tricky to locate underwater, but there we found a fantastic mini-wall, covered in all kinds of corals and hiding lots of neat critters. We saw a turtle, a super-sized puffer, barracuda, lobster, a spotted drum and more.

Did I mention that we were the only ones on the dives (besides, Larry, of course)? It was like having a private charter. We would have dived more, but we had our two small children with us and didn't want to wear out the baby-sitters (grandparents).

We give St. John Dive Adventures two thumbs up (um, maybe that should be two OK signs) and highly recommend them to anyone who's headed for St. John.

Here's more info...

www.stjohndiveadventures.com

Phone:

340-642-0045