We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Oceana

Easthampton...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Oceana

Staying at Villa Oceana in Great bay. www.omvillasstjohn.com/villa_oceana.html

Has anyone stayed here?

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Oceana

Weird, I was there this time last week! I reviewed it on Homeaway.com yesterday but it has not been posted yet. I loved the place, the view is fantastic, just loved having coffee/cocktails on that deck. The place was clean, the AC worked fine, WiFi was fun so I could post my days pictures on facebook. We rented a Jeep, glad because that last hill is really steep...we did fine, and the parking is easy in/out. Not crazy about the narrow spiral staircase to the bedroom, but we're sorta old. I recommend!We got a deal of $200 incl. tax and cleaning fee because we waited to the last minute and filled in the empty spaces on the calendar (don't be afraid to make an offer). If you go feed the feral kittens that live on the grounds, and if you put out a bowl of sugar you will have lots of sweet little yellow birds (Bananaquits). I will keep an eye on this post if you have any questions for me. Otherwise JEALOUS!

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Oceana

Weird, I was there this time last week! I reviewed it on Homeaway.com yesterday but it has not been posted yet. I loved the place, the view is fantastic, just loved having coffee/cocktails on that deck. The place was clean, the AC worked fine, WiFi was fun so I could post my days pictures on facebook. We rented a Jeep, glad because that last hill is really steep...we did fine, and the parking is easy in/out. Not crazy about the narrow spiral staircase to the bedroom, but we're sorta old. I recommend!We got a deal of $200 incl. tax and cleaning fee because we waited to the last minute and filled in the empty spaces on the calendar (don't be afraid to make an offer). If you go feed the feral kittens that live on the grounds, and if you put out a bowl of sugar you will have lots of sweet little yellow birds (Bananaquits). I will keep an eye on this post if you have any questions for me. Otherwise JEALOUS!

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Oceana

sorry for the double post. not sure how I did that :)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Oceana

Sugar water in a saucer/shallow bowl (not a bowl of sugar) for the bananaquits. Preferably a plastic one in case it gets knocked over. I love sitting on the deck and having them come visit. They can be quite brave. After a couple of days I moved the saucer from the deck railing to the little table next to me. I was sitting pretty still, having a coctail and within about 5 minutes one of them came over to the table to eat. It was pretty cool.

Make sure you change it everyday.

Edited: 7:07 pm, February 13, 2012
Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Oceana

Opps, I used straight sugar...they cleaned the bowl however.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Oceana

I use the same ratio of water to sugar as I make at home for hummingbirds. 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Oceana

My wife and I just stayed there last week of January. Great location, phenomenal view, cozy, pool right next to front door, good a/c. There is a gas grill right outside the kitchen and we cooked on it a few nights. It is a very quiet location. Great place to relax. There is much to rave about this place but we had a few relatively minor issues as well. Most of them were taken care of during our visit and the property manager kindly reimbursed us a portion of our rental fee. There was a small leak above the bed that leaked on my face in bed at 3 am since that is when the heavy down-bursts occur. The stove ran out of gas but they replaced the tanks. If you run the a/c a lot (we only needed it at night), there is a pool of water outside the side door which can be slippery. The housekeeper brushed it off a few times but it returned. They said they would fix the problem. The condo could use a minor renovation since the rug is old and worn. The place is smaller than you imagine based on the pictures but when you are in the Caribbean you want to be outside mostly anyway. Some of the outlets in the kitchen didn't work but she said they would be fixed as well. At minimal cost to the owner the condo can be converted into a four star. Overall good value for the money. We walked into town six or seven times and it takes about 20 minutes but we are in pretty good shape. Coming back up the steep hill was a little tough on my wife but just the final portion up the driveway to the condo. I suggest using taxis or bus system rather than renting since the jeeps are expensive and driving sketchy. It is only eight miles to far side of island and easy to get transportation and cheaper than rental. The L&L rental Jeep company ripped me off by charging a $50 cleaning fee even though I returned it clean. They said I had to ASK for the money back when I dropped it off or they wouldn't refund it. They are unscrupulous.

Itala, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Oceana

Is Villa Oceana an indipendent villa or is a condo?

What about the pool? It is shared?

The bedroom is in the top floor with a spiral staircase? It is comfortable?

thanks!

virgin islands
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Oceana

Please note this person is NOT talking about Villa Oceana managed by Vacation Vistas- there is NO spiral staircase there.. I think they are referring to a Grand Bay condo unit- thank you, Lisa

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Oceana

it has a private owner and is run by the property management company. It is for sale for 400k or something crazy. The pool is right next to the front door and is shared by the whole complex but usually no one there except in the mornings sometimes with families. Since we had the air on at night it wasnt loud. The unit was originally one building but you can see it was partitioned into two. Is is small but cozy. If you have trouble climbing stairs or are very large this would not be the best choice. We didnt have any oroblems with the small spiral staircase. Since the weather is almost always nice most folks will be out on the deck or enjoying the beaches so it really is a place to sleep anyway. Beautiful view of the bay.