We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

Has anyone done a day charter with either of these boats? Were they friendly, nice, good service. I heard they tell stories on board, since we don't have kids in our party is this the right one for us?

THanks!

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

We've been on the Stormy Petrel. Had kids with us. They didn't so much tell stories as they gave us the names and history of the various islands as we passed them. They were very nice and professional.

Germantown, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

When are you going? We, hubby and me - kids are staying home with grandma, have reserved this trip during Easter week. Watch for my trip report after then.

Germantown, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

We went out with Pirates Penny on 4/12/06. We had Captain Rick, Laura was first mate and Ryan was in training. We had 10 passengers on the boat, two of them were well behaved children. Captain Rick will tell stories but they are historical or "tales" about the places you will go or islands that you pass. Their tour of "The Baths" is off the main trail a bit and they will lead two groups, one through the more challenging route and the other the easy route. We took the challenging route and squeezed between rocks and climbed through to get to the 10 foot jump. We also climbed through to see the "Lion's Head" and "Whale". Don't miss the climb to see this view. Ryan took our lunch order after the tour of "The Baths" and called it in to Cooper Island Beach Club. The Clam Chowder was very spicey and good. There was no time to snorkel at Cooper Island. (customs ran long on both ends that day) The conditions were right to take us to "The Indians" for an incredible snorkel. Large walls of coral and many varieties of fish. Laura and Ryan guided us through the water on the snorkel. The service was top notch and everyone was very friendly. It was a very nice tour and well worth the money.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,516 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Cooper Island Beach Club
Cooper Island Beach Club
229 Reviews
Cooper Island
lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

MKraus,

Did you make it to JVD? If so, how did you like it? Did you make it to the bubbly pool?

Germantown, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

Brenda,

No we didn't make it to Jost Van Dyke. Our trip got canceled because not enough people signed up. Both Maho Bay Campgrounds activities directors called and one of the owners of Lion in da Sun called to apologize. They said it does not happen often.

I called Captain Phil of the Wayward Sailor up and we went out on a full day sail with him instead. We learned so much and snorkeled both sides of Little St. James. I was disappointed that we didn't get to JVD but after spending the day with Captain Phil I realized I think we had a better day. Our day with Captain Phil was that enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Maho Bay
Maho Bay
439 Reviews
St. John
Lion In Da Sun
Lion In Da Sun
653 Reviews
St. John
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

Mkraus, I am booked with Stormy Petrel and Pirates Penny the middle of July. How long did it take to get to The Baths with them? How long did it take to clear customs? If you have non-swimmers onboard - how do they get the non-swimmers to shore? And finally, what did the inside of the boat look like? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,516 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

I guess, if I remember correctly, it took about an hour or so. They read the water. If it's choppy in the channel, somethimes they go on the north side of Tortola. Otherwise, they stay on the south side of Tortola.

They handled customs in Virgin Gorda for us while we walked around and shopped for a few minutes in Spanishtown. I'd guess that part took about 20-25 minutes.

As for the non swimmers...good question. The boat cannot pull all the way up on the beach at the baths. When we went, everyone swam, but they did have some flotation assistance for anyone needing it. I guess you'll have to ask them about that. I would think that if someone seriously did not want to get in the water, they'd take the 3 minute taxi ride down from Spanishtown or have to stay on the boat while others explored the baths?

Boat is very nice. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. As I recall there was seating both inside and outside.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

Oops. Sorry. Just realized you were asking Mkraus. Sorry to jump in...

Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

Hi Tethered, No your responses are always welcome. I use to live in Arvada-Westminster area of Colorado but moved to Georiga in 1984. My hubby still has family in the area. I read on an earlier posting of yours that you have property on St. John to build your retirement home. When will you start building? I would love to have a home there. Enough room to build another home? Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Germantown, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stormy petrel and Pirates Penny

Hi Bissie,

We started at Dock P at the American Yacht Harbor on St. Thomas. The P dock is behind Off the Hook restaurant next to the ferry dock so parking is a little hairy. They went over a few safety things and went to St. John to the park dock. That probably took 20 minutes. We waiting for a few people in St. John and went over boat safety stuff again. Water/Wind conditions made going to Virgin Gorda around the north side of St. John better. Travel time was a very fast hour. The scenery is so beautiful that the time goes by quickly. We parked at the dock in Spanichtown. British Customs must normally take about 20 minutes because that is how long they said we had to look in the shops in Spanishtown and use the facilities until we needed to be back on the boat. With it being Easter week it was very busy and took about 40 minutes. The crew goes in with your ID's and $20 for the customs fee for you. My guess is that you can easily take a taxi from Spanishtown to The Baths if you can not swim in. We did not have any non-swimmers and everyone snorkeled so it was not an issue. They do have big blue floats that they take over so with a life preserver that could work too. There is no dock at the baths for the boat to pull up to and I don't recall them pulling a dingy. The second stop pulls up at a dock on Cooper Island for lunch. The third stop for us was a snorkel at "The Indians" . We drove back around the North Shore of St. John to Cruz Bay. We got back to Cruz Bay at 4pm and there were only 3 boats in front of us. The Caneel's big boat was parked at the dock and there must have been a problem in Customs or one of the boats in front of us did not have their paper work done because it took 45 minutes until we got to park at the dock. US Customs was a fast line but we all had to get out of the boat with shoes and cover-ups on to show our own ID's. We were back to St. Thomas at 5:10pm.

There is a picture of the boat and the woman is on one of the floats in front of the boat at this web site:

http://www.charterboat.vi/stormypetrel.html

I sat up in the covered sections of the boat next to the driver and there was room for one more person next to me. They have a few chairs that could go under cover but the rest of the people were out in the open sun on a cushioned seat. I believe the max number of passengers is 12. We had 10 plus 3 crew. It did not feel crowded.

We have a great day and the trip was run very professionally.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
The Baths
The Baths