We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

I was just informed that the car is due back by 10 am the day we leave. And our flight does not leave till 4:24. We don't arrive untill 3:30, so I do not understand why we have to have the car back at 10:00 am. If anyone knows of any other company that would be better let me know please. We were relying on having the car back right before we left when we booked the plane tickets. If only hindsight came Before you do things... lol but then we would not have any mistakes to learn from now would we.

Thanks in Advance For Any and all advice!

CC

Maine
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

Conrad Sutton has the same requirement so I'm assuming it's standard policy on STJ? We're not dropping our jeep of until later in the afternoon but for us it will just turn our 6-day rental into a 7-day and since the 7th day is free it won't cost us any more to keep it through the afternoon.

Maybe someone else here knows if there's any car rental companies that are an exception to this.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

Rental cars are in high demand on STJ and they want enough (island) time to get them ready for the next customer. 10:00 has been my experience each time. But you will need to get to STT by 2 or so, which means the 1:00 ferry. So turn your car in, do some last-minute shopping, have lunch, start panning your next visit etc., either in Cruz Bay or C.A.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

Penns have always helped us when we used to rent from them (we don't anymore as we live here :) ) but usually they let us return at 1pm or so, they would ask us which ferry we were getting and it was never a problem and given July is "off" season I don't think it would be a problem, - they have great in town parking too :)

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

You can rent from Avis at the STT airport and take it across on the car ferry. It was $35 RT the last time we did it and you will spend at least that much on taxi's and the people ferry. Some find this a hassel but we have never had a problem.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

I was told that Penn's is going to start offering only 1 car (Jeep Cherokee???)sometime this year (before we come in October at least) for $90/day so you might want to check on that. That's much more expensive than some of the other agencies. Thanks for sharing this concern as I didn't know anything about it either.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

Just a little heads up for those taking cars from STT to STJ. They have raised the car barge prices. They are closer to $50 round trip now.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

Courtesy will hold onto your luggage for you. since the agency is right there in town, you can easily walk to shops and restaurtants and BARS since you no longer have to worry about driving. It'll be the end of your trip and by then you'll likely feel relaxed, laid back and not in much of a hurry. Don't worry about it. The time in town without a car will fly!

GQH
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: I have a deposit set to rent a car from Courtsey in...

O'Connor's is located at the Exxon station as you head up the hill out of Cruz Bay and they didn't set a specific return for us. They have Jeep Wranglers.