We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
13 posts
Save Topic
Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

First-time visit to STJ for me and my fiance in just a few weeks - for our wedding & honeymoon! April 27th through May 7th.

We've booked (after falling for what we'd read and seen on the net) both Casa Yaya and Mampoo Hill. Very excited, since they both look lovely!

Does anyone have any first-hand reviews of either place?

Many thanks & warm regards!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

Here's a link for a review on Casa Ya Ya found on virgin-islands-on-line.com:

virgin-islands-on-line.com/sj/sjhotelreviews…

and here is a review on Mampoo Hill:

virgin-islands-on-line.com/sj/sjhotelreviews…

Denver, CO
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

Casa Yaya is hands down the best place my husband and I have stayed. We stayed there for 10 years about a year ago with some friends. The home is nice for more than one couple since it has two master suites -- the upstairs "loft" wouldn't be a place I'd want to stay though.

The entire side of the house facing the British Virgin Islands opens with basically the same thing as garage door openers and the view from either master suite bed is fantastic - leave the one in your bedroom open overnight for the best sunrise in bed.

The deck has the best views to the British Virgin Islands...sit in the pool and enjoy the view. There are some nice restaurants and places to go in Coral Bay on this side of the Island and it's perfect for a Honeymoon, since the area is fairly secluded -- at least less lively than the Cruz Bay side of the island.

Rent a four wheel drive vehicle as the drive up the road to Casa Yaya and the driveway and steep! I've got some pictures I can email you also if you'd like.

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

Thank you all so much for the kindness to take the time and reply . . .it's been a while since I've checked in - planning planning planning! - but your insight is truly valued.

cmpletch - I would love to see your photos if you'd like to send!!! Thanks so much!

kansas city
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

hey there!! i was google searching for Casa Yaya and came up with your previous conversation. I am getting married in just a few weeks and trying to plan a honeymoon. We ran across Casa YaYa on the St. John island and it is actually available! The only problem is that we are getting married in September, highest tropical storm/ hurricane season. Opinions? What else did you do while you were there and do you mind sending over some of your pictures from your stay there?

thanks!!!

Jill

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

Jill

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, and a huge congrats on selecting STJ!

Re: Casa Yaya - two words of advice - STAY THERE!

The villa is breath-taking - the island is paradise - I can't advocate it enough!

Feel free to drop me a line - I'll help you best I can - inc. photos

thomas.jaroszewski@cushwake.com

Ottawa, ON
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

I stayed at Casa Yaya in April 2006. I agree, the view is fantastic, the location on top of the mountain is ideal. The large deck and the small plunge pool is exposed to the sun until 4:00 pm., which makes it a great place to sunbathe (with bathing suits or not... very private).

I read somewhere that mosquitos were not a problem . In our case, they were. Maybe not enough tradewinds, but I got bitten so bad, I could'nt move my right hand for 3 days. For my part, I am looking for air-conditioned bedrooms for my next stay in St.John. The wife did not like the outdoor showers... I did'nt mind so much, even despite the gekko droppings. The view from the shower is great.

The open air concept is fun, but has its downsides (such as mosquitos). Also a couple of bats managed to get in during the evening. It was qui a challenge to get them out.

Neither myself or my wife had the courage to climb to the upstairs loft. I would not recommend it for kids or seniors. There is no bathroom upstairs, so someone could get hurt trying to climb down this ackward ladder during the night.

The driveway is now paved and previous reports can be ignored. It is a smooth ride up to the villa and a nice parking space and enough space to turn the jeep around. Same comment about the front door, it has been replaced with a brand new one.

There is a villa being built right next door. Not sure if it's finished (I hear construction is slow in the VI), but it was noisy at times.

Finally, the owners should make an effort to maintain the villa at a certain standard, especially for the kitchen. Appliances were old, the new oven was broken, kitchen cabinets were old and dirty. The dishwasher looked like it was bought in the early 80's. The cheap BBQ grill outside had seen better days. Considering the price they charge (especially in high season), buying a 300$ new grill from time to time should'nt be a big deal.

Otherwise, the overall design of the villa, it's location and especially it's view makes this villa one of the great deals in Coral Bay. Reserve well in advance, it is very popular.

7. Re: Villa Report - Casa YaYa & Mampoo Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, September 07, 2009