We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you stayed at Thalassa?

Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Have you stayed at Thalassa?

I can find little information re: Thalassa villa on the top of Hart Hill. It is an older villa that has been rebuilt (after hurricane) . Visitors have posted beautiful pictures taken from Thalassa but I haven't gotten any feedback about how comfortable it is. We would like to stay there, but we would love to hear from people who have stayed there. I can't imagine how visitors haven't raved about it, esp. because of its location. There was a short forum which closed due to lack of participation I believe in 2009. Would love to hear from you if you've stayed there. Please.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

I can't recall ever ready a review on it, sorry.

NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
368 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

I seriously looked into this villa a couple of years ago, and I asked about the same questions you did. I thought it was here on TA, but I didn't find the thread to the forum. I was talked out of it just from the comments I got on how dated the furnishings looked. I thought the views looked great, and if I remember correctly, there isn't a/c, so the afternoon sun was a concern. I did find a link that had several reviews that are quite complimentary. Maybe that'll help. homeaway.com/vacation-rental/reviews/p290252 Good luck!

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

I haven't stayed there, but as a resident I been familiar with the house for many years.

It depends on your expectations. The 360 degree views are stunning, and I'd say the house is very comfortable and well equipped. It has belonged to the same (orginially European) family since it was built in the 1960s, and it's not even slightly glitzy, so it wouldn't appeal to those who want marble and vast air-conditioned spaces--but there is always great breeze with the 360 exposure as well.

If I were picking a vacation rental in that area of the island, I'd be happy to be there.

Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

Thank you for your response love2travel42. I'm getting the same feelings. I don't mind old charm, we live in an old farmhouse but I did find some reviews that bothered me. One woman said the beds were so bad she couldn't sleep. No view is worth not sleeping while on vacation. The owner did say they would replace the beds but no one has commented since about comfortable beds. The other issue seems to be with hot, even warm water. It seems the outside showers are cold showers? Just not getting a good idea of how rustic it is.

NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
368 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

Yes, those were my thoughts too. I tend to go with my gut feeling, and that's why I went with a different villa.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

I know nothing about the place but I would caution you to pay attention to your gut also. I thought I had done a good job when choosing the villa on Bordeaux Mt. we just got home from but I didn't run it by the TA'ers, only looked at reviews. Now I wish I had asked point blank what people's opinions where outside the official Review link.

NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
368 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

Just curious Karrieb, do you care to share where you stayed? The more Villas I stay in, the more I learn about what I don't like. Our last one we had to go downstairs and outside for a restroom. That wasn't ideal in the middle of the night!!

Arlington, Virginia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

I have stayed at Thalassa quite a few times now. It really is pretty hard to find a better location. The family got the place when there were few other houses on that part of the island and so were able to get the very tip top of the hill they are on. That means there are breezes all through the day, no matter which direction the wind is blowing. The sun or heat has never been a problem for us there even when it has been very hot and sticky in town. The beds have indeed been replaced and are quite good now. The furniture has been upgraded also, throughout the house. The showers are indeed outside (with walls on 3 sides and then bushes or slats on the fourth side) but they absolutely do have nice, hot water. It's still not fancy but it is very comfortable and pretty wonderful all around.

Lambertville, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

We stayed at Thalassa in the spring of 2012. New beds, really comfortable. Stunning views, all the amenities. Showers are outdoors, but if you give the water a second, it warms up just fine. Easy access both to town and the best beaches. We loved it so much we booked it again for this March (2013)!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you stayed at Thalassa?

We stayed at Thalassa in Dec 2012.

The property is clean, but is not fancy. If you want granite countertops and marble baths, then it is not the place for you. If you are ok with giving up new and fancy for amazing views and privacy, then you should consider it.

The views are amazing. The beds were comfortable. The property is clean. Close to Cruz Bay, so easy to get to grocery stores, etc. Three decks on different sides of the main house - always a deck to go to (sun, shade, wind, no wind).

We did NOT enjoy the outdoor showers - the two showers are both on sides that get a breeze, and since we shower at the end of the day, even with hot water, it was not a warm shower. This may be different if you shower in the peak of the day, or if you have a day with no wind. Also would have preferred a grill and/or an outdoor dining table - these are not advertised, so it's nothing they did "wrong", just something that would have made it a little better for us.

An unexpected plus for us was that we were able to hear the waves in the bay below (on the east side). Not sure if this was just at that time of year (Dec with a full moon) or if it is always there, but it was nice to hear in our room and when relaxing on the deck.

We slept in the East bedroom - awakened each morning by a beautiful sunrise, and plenty of wind to keep the room cool without using fan or AC.