We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in St. John, USVI

Rockland, Delaware
1 post
Save Topic
Car rental in St. John, USVI

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car rental agency in St. John? Any negative experiences?

151 replies to this topic
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

I usually use Conrad Sutton. His Jeeps are well maintained and if you get a flat or dead battery, he responds very quickly to fix the problem. His prices are good as well. You can park in his lot for free if you want to shop or have dinner in town. I have also used Penns which also has a big free lot in town and O'Conner, which rents out of the Westin, but has no in town free parking.

Edited: 1:10 pm, October 15, 2011
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

We always use STJ Car Rental. No complaints after 10+ years

One thing to remember is that although many companies have websites, they are not really web savy. Your best bet is to pick up the phone and talk to them. No one has computerized reservations and contracts are hand written.

Making personal contact is the best way to be sure your reservation is all set.

3. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, March 19, 2014

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

I second tink. Went with stj car rental and they were easy to deal with. In fact we arrived late and my villa company was able to get my car before we arrived. We took care of the paperwork the next day, I appreciate that kind of service.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

We've had great luck with Conrad Suttons (5-6 times so far) and yes, the responses you get might be better by phone although Suttons does use an online booking reservation thingie

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

I rented from dependable in St Thomas and drove over to STJ (car ferry). I like being picked up at the airport and not having to haul around my luggage into a taxi, then into a the ferry. I'd rather drive my way there and pick up some groceries on the way at CostULess. Rented from dependable twice, no problems wither time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

They are all in cahoots and have bad policies. No removing soft tops of jeeps or fined. Some crazy $100 deposit. Must pick up or drop at a certain time. All got together to keep their prices high. Its like Jr. High renting on St. John. Seriously consider renting on St. Thomas and putting it on one of the car barges to St. John, most allow it, to my knowledge only Hertz does not. But do check, it is a bit cheaper not paying the taxi fare to Redhook plus you aren't transferring your luggage from taxi to boat to rental car on St. John. Most either have an office at STT or will meet you there, load your luggage once then not bothered with it again till you arrive where ever you are going on St. John. Good luck.

8. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, March 19, 2014

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

There are a lot of opinions going around about STJ car rental policies but the bottom line is that you should rent a vehicle where you feel comfortable with the price, service, and polices and with a company that works with your flight times..

My comfort level is with supporting the businesses on STJ, having help on the same island, having in town free parking, and vehicles that have been consistently in good repair.

There is no right or wrong, it is more expensive to run a business and maintain cars on STJ, bottom line.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in St. John, USVI

Toes - Trust me I rent cars all over the world and in some off the beaten trail places, all car rental companies EVERYWHERE adjust their policies and rates to match the competition....yes all in cahoots, its a quite common practice and very annoying. Though some strange rules actually have to do with local law, you have to pick through all the nonsense to get to the real deal. Some companies will sway, run specials etc but its few and infrequent to keep their rental base, period. Been there done that.

Reply to: Car rental in St. John, USVI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted