We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John or Tortola????

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
St John or Tortola????

Looking to visit the Virgin Islands for the first time with my girlfriend sometime in the late spring/early summer. Hoping to rent a villa, perhaps the Captains House in Tortola, and have a long list of possibles for St John. Wondering which island might be the better choice. We like to have a good time, will spend the majority of our days hiking, snorkeling, beach bars, etc. Any input will be greatly appreciated! Both look so incredibly gorgeous!

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
515 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St John or Tortola????

Go to St. John. STJ has not only the fab beaches and hiking you are looking for but a great town area for bars and restaurant. I would recommend taking the ferry or renting a boat and doing Tortola. We did that and it was the highlight of our trip. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St John or Tortola????

Appreciate your quick response patty, St John does look incredible. Casa Ya Ya looks beautiful, as do some of the villas available on Gift Hill. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Hingham, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St John or Tortola????

Definately St. John! We've been there at least ten times and still haven't seen and

done it all. We booked a week on Tortola a

few years back and checked out after two days, got on the ferry without even securing a reservation on St John. Luckily, our favorite, Gallows Point(a great villa alternative)had a vacancy. We've also rented a villa and loved that too. Gifft Hill and Chocolate Hole North are great locations for a villa-fabulous views and easy access to town. I personally don't think Tortola is worth the day trip-Jost Van Dyke or Virgin Gorda are better.

Tortola can't compete with St. John for beauty, beach access, snorkling and dining.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
874 Reviews
St. John
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Hingham, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St John or Tortola????

Definately St. John! We've been there at least ten times and still haven't seen and

done it all. We booked a week on Tortola a

few years back and checked out after two days, got on the ferry without even securing a reservation on St John. Luckily, our favorite, Gallows Point(a great villa alternative)had a vacancy. We've also rented a villa and loved that too. Gifft Hill and Chocolate Hole North are great locations for a villa-fabulous views and easy access to town. I personally don't think Tortola is worth the day trip-Jost Van Dyke or Virgin Gorda are better.

Tortola can't compete with St. John for beauty, beach access, snorkling and dining.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
874 Reviews
St. John
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St John or Tortola????

Just curious as to why you checked out after 2 days? Where were you staying?

I'm asking because my husband and I are going the end of April for 2 weeks. We've rented a villa on the west end above Smugglers Cove. We've been going to STJ for many years and thought we'd give Tortola a try this time

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Detroit
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St John or Tortola????

My vote goes for Tortola. Great beaches and beach bars. Great live music and don't forget Bomba Shack.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St John or Tortola????

Is the snorkeling as good on Tortola as it is on St John? What about the island itself, just as nice as St John? I assume that it being the British VIs doesn't make it any cheaper or more expensive than the USVIs?

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Detroit
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St John or Tortola????

The rental rates at hotels are much cheaper than St John.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St John or Tortola????

i'm a big st. john lover/we've been vactioning there for 10 yrs. over this time we have exlpored tortola and jost and have stayed on both also.usually now we split our time between st. john/jost or tortola. we are not hikers but my impression is the best is st. john..beach bars don't exist on st. john/not that there aren't some great bars to spend an evening(trust me, been there!!)but you'll find such in cane garden bay on tortola. both island have some good restaurants,friendly people and various types of accomodations. imo st. john has the best beaches but tortola really doesn't lack either. this is a tough choice, they both offer plenty for all! what is nice about st. john is the easy access to st. thomas and i enjoy that most of the entertainment,restaurants and bars are in cruz bay so you can walk around town,shop,dine,drink without going far! coral bay, the "quieter" side of the island, also has enough to keep you happy ...so....maybe you should go to st. john , rent a villa,car and explore all you can, have a great time and next year when you return( and you will)you can plan a trip to stay on both islands !! we're going 3/28.. 4 days jost, 5 days st. john..can't wait !!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St John or Tortola????

Thank you all for the great responses, especially yours Tess! Wish asll decisions in life were this tough, sounds like a win-win!