We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

I have been searching the archives on the board and have found plenty of great restrauants to go on my trip to SJ. The problems is....i have TOO MANY good choices. So I turn to my good friends here to help me with my decision. Its pretty simple....3 nights of dining -- food, ambiance, and maybe a little music are key. Price is not that important.

Here are the ones I am considering (feel free to add your own 2 cents):

ZoZo

Stone Terrance

Tage

Chateau Bordeax

The Balcony

Asolare

Lime Inn

PLEASE HELP!!

Eric

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

I've been to Stone Terrace, Chateau Bordeaux, and Lime Inn. All were very good.

My favorite meal (also best value) was at Lime Inn. This place is considerably noisier and more crowded than the others, and accommodates many times as many diners. I wouldn't give it high marks for ambience, although it was friendly and pleasant. Planning to go back next week, as the fish was superb and the price was very reasonable by St. John standards.

Stone Terrace is quite elegant, and our meal was delicious. It's close to the water. Fairly pricey.

Chateau Bordeaux has a jaw-dropping view and the atmosphere of a country inn. It takes a while to get there from anywhere you're likely to be. My meal was good, but less inspiring than what I had at the other two places. While I would not discourage anyone from going, it's not a place I'd be inclined to return to, because of the price and the distance, and (based on my very limited experience) there are places with equally good food that cost less in time and money. However, if you want something very romantic and visually special, it's worth a visit.

We tried twice to get in at ZoZo's, and they were booked solid. This year I've reserved well ahead, and will be eating there a week from Wednesday. If you want to go there, don't wait too long to book.

Bon appétit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

and you left out so many! I've heard too many bad things about asolare lately.. too pricey, small portions and lousy service have all been mentioned in the last couple months.. having said that, I've never been there.. I like the fish trap which is run by the same people who have stone terrace. Also, banana deck has live music on thursday and sometimes sundays and the food and service have been given high marks lately.

I wasn't impressed with tage or tapas when I was there, not bad, just not impressive. Lime Inn is one of my favorites too, even tho my last meal there wasn't stellar, I'll still go back.

also, the barbecue is worth having if you can stand to not eat fish for one of your meals

Enjoy and let us know which was your favorite when you get back!

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

If you are there on a Sunday, definitely go out to Miss Lucy's for the jazz brunch. Get there at 10 or a couple of minutes before to get a good table outdoors by the water.

Cafe Roma has delish Italian food. Don't miss Uncle Joes Bar-B-Q and Polli's has good Mexican with great pitchers of margaritas.

Lunch or dinner at Island Blues in Coral Bay and Skinny's of course.

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

Which has better Mexican food, Polli's or Margarita Phil's? We are going March 25th. We are staying at Gallows Point. Should I e-mail and book Zo-Zo's beforehand? We also plan on going to The Lime Inn and was thinking about La Tapa. I read about a Pizzaria called Ron's that will deliver in Cruz Bay. Is this true? We might want a quiet night in. Thanks!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

I know Miss Lucy's is casual but do they take reservations? We plan to go on Easter Sunday. If so, how far in advance would you call.

Any suggestions for a restaurant in Cruz Bay for a family of 4 with two children ages 9 and 13? Good food, one of our nicer meals with a view. I was thinking of ZoZo. How far in advance should we make reservations for some of the more formal restaurants such as ZoZo?

We also plan to go to Uncle Joe's and the Lime Inn. Thanks for your help!

bev
maryland
Level Contributor
189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

Add Rhum Lines in town - very interesting food - relatively reasonable. Had 3 days in STJ - ate twice at Tage and once at Rhum Lines; every morsel perfect.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

Being a resident here I may be a little biased, but my favorites are

La Tappa-Monday nights they have a three piece Samba band

Zozo's-Great food, service and view

Tage-I've said a number of times, my all time favorite place. I haven't had a chance to go lately, but I've also heard on this forum that people are not pleased with the service there. That is a area I usually don't have any trouble with because I live here and know just about everyone at every resturaunt.

Stone Terrace is nice as well, but I haven't been there in awhile. I rarely hear bad things about the place.

I would say where ever you feel like going, make reservations as early as possible. Better safe than sorry. Zozo's often books up...so do many others this time of year.

Let us know what you did when you get back!

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

Here's my top three pick...Zozos, Stone Terrace and Chateau Bordeau. If you'd like any additional insight, check my trip report from the second week of Jan. I reviewed all of our restaurant experiences. Have a great time!

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

Zozo's was very good, Lime Inn was also good but not as "upscale" dining, Tage was by far a favorite as far as presentation and creativity of the chef - food is simply outstanding. I did not find an issue with service, however I have heard comments that at least one of the waiters can be somewhat "snobbish" and "condescending". We did not experience that problem. We also found that Morgan's Mango was totally overrated with average food - good if you're interested in frozen drinks I suppose. We had reservations at Asolare and cancelled them after hearing negative reports about portions and service. The view I am sure is astounding, but if the service is sub par there are plenty of places on St John for jaw-dropping views.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP!! Too many good restaurants and too little time!

i have been to st john over 10 times and have dined at all of these resturants....

all i can say is DEFINETLY go to ZOZOS. everything on their menu is superb and you can not go wrong. Be sure to get the Chocolate TORTE!! its a flourless chocholate cake in the shape of a little circle and is filled with melted chocholate on the inside--the best dessert i have ever had. and their steak is the best!

tage has mixed reviews depending on what you order, but their white chocolate soufflee is good for dessert.