We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STT Carnival Dates for 2012

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
STT Carnival Dates for 2012

Any chance anyone knows when Carnival will be on STT in 2012?

We are planning our return home for Saturday, May 5, 2012 (first Saturday in May), and all of a sudden I thought it may be the day of the parade on St. Thomas. I'd rather avoid a harrowing trip to the airport and choose a different day to return if it is parade day or even if there is a chance it could be parade day. The rep at the villa company suggested to leave on a Sunday vs. a Saturday as she said the parade would not be on a Sunday. Anyone agree? I really like having that extra day to unpack before return to home/work life on Monday.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

We arrived on STT carnival day this year and it took a little longer to get to the ferry, that was it.

The rent our car on STJ so we had no issues, if you rent on STT, that may be a problem but I would check with the rental company

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
2. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

We do rent our vehicle on STT and drive ourselves to the ferry, so we don't know the back way to get to Red Hook like a driver/taxi would.

I haven't decided on a car rental company yet, as we will need a 7 passenger vehicle and I've never rented one of those before. I'm hoping someone will have some inside knowledge on dates so I don't bother car rental companies I'm not ready to book with yet.

Did you arrive on a Saturday?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

We did arrive on Saturday, right during the parade.

We took the back way over the mountain. It was a little confusing as a passenger but if your rental company is open, I am sure they would give you great directions.

I would be more concerned of them being open as opposed to getting directions.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
4. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

Oh no! Another thing to worry about :(

DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

I called the carnival committee and was told 4/22-4/28.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
6. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

Thanks for the reply. I actually got an answer from posting on the STT forum. I was also told it doesn't affect the waterfront traffic, meaning the road to Red Hook won't be closed off. And rental companies will be open for business as usual according to one of the companies I called.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

We will also be arriving at the same time and I was also trying to get the 2012 dates for the parade. Nice to see the information on your post! Thanks for the help!

california
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
8. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

20 Apr 2012 - 30 Apr 2012 The Adult Parade is 28 Apr 201

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
9. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

You may be right! I have not nailed it down yet, but there is a possibility that the Adult Parade will be on the 5th of May. I think Frommer's has it wrong!

Edited: 9:46 am, December 02, 2011
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,172 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: STT Carnival Dates for 2012

No, it's April 22-28 with the Children's Parade on Friday and the Adult Parade on Saturday. The parades are further back from the waterfront road but traffic there can move slowly. No big deal and, as said, you can take the alternate route, "over the mountain".