We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

FOV
Boston
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

We are contemplating spending about $300 to take our family of 4 to the VG Baths on a charter. We will be spending the other 10 days

I have read mixed reviews about the baths. Some think they are "just a bunch of rocks" and some claim it to be almost a mystical experience.

What is your opinion?

Thanks!

FOV
Boston
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

Sorry - I hit "send" before I finished typing...

We will be spending 10 days on St. John. This will be our only excursion.

Thanks!

Minden, LA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

Hello. My brother and I are taking my mother to St. John in May to celebrate her 60th birthday.

We are spending the entire week on St. John and are also contemplating a day trip to The Baths in Virgin Gorda.

Any input is appreciated.

Karen in Louisiana

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

Maybe I don't get out much, but I was awestruck by The Baths. I would definitely go again - I thought it was a must see!

It was just my husband and me, but there were a lot of families there when we went. It seemed to be the kind of place that would even make a teenager with a bad attitude perk up & really enjoy the experience.

We took the ferry over & it wasn't that expensive, but with a charter, you'll be dropped off & allowed to explore the grottos & beaches so much easier. I hope you decide to go.

So, that's just my opinion - curious to see the end results of your poll.

VG Baths - Day Trip: YES, DEFINITELY!

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

I agree. It can get very crowded on cruise ship days but well worth seeing. Yes, It is just a bunch of rocks but they are beautiful. Have you considered New Horizons II? It goes to several islands for about $100 pp and you get snacks & drinks. I like the Baths but am not sure if I would want to spend the entire day there.

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

We went to St John in Jan 2006 and took the New Horizons II for a day trip to the Baths, snorkeling at Guana Island after lunch at Marina Cay, and a final stop at Jost Van Dyke. A great day trip and the cost was $125 per person, plus $20 per person to clear customs in BVI and lunch money ($10-$12 a person). I thought the Baths were beautiful, yes just a bunch of rocks but truly beautiful setting and fun to meander through them. I found it to be a bit of a cattle call because the cruise ships all go there and I would not want to spend the entire day there - just my opinion. Worth seeing, but as part of a bigger plan for the day.

Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

I would definitely go if I were you. It is beautiful. Even some of the trails down to it are beautiful. I don't think I'd spend a whole day there... but certainly several hours. We went in the afternoon after the cruise folks had cleared out. It was great... not many folks there at all! Got some great photos too!

Kat

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

definetly go! if for no other reason, so you have an opinion next time someone asks.. and.. it's the only way you'll get a stamp in your passport on this trip.. ya'll have passports right??

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poll: VG Baths - Day Trip?

Yes, try to plan it on a day with no ships in port in Tortola. From STJ, it will take you about 90 minutes or so to get there. You'll see the entire north shore of STJ, then Norman (stop there and snorkel the Indians or the caves- Indians are better-, then you'll get to see Peter Island, Tortola, Ginger, Cooper, Beef, Fallen Jerusalem....gorgeous scenery all the way there.

Meander thru the baths, kids love to climb in and out of the rocks, then hike up the little hill and have lunch at a restaurant named Top of the Baths...It has very good, reasonably prices food and drinks, awesome gazpacho. Also has a swimming pool to keep you busy (and rinse off the salt) while you wait for your food.

Never done the New Horizons trip, but many people seem to think it's worth it. Must be one fast boat to get to so many places in one day. Seems almost like you'd have to be hurried to get to do so much...but like I said, I've never heard anyone put it down.

Are you boaters? Chartering a Nauti Nymph or Ocean Runner? With or without captain?

Just curious.

10 days is a long time to have on STJ. You're so lucky! I think you'll appreciate your day on a boat to the baths or wherever. It will allow you to see almost ALL of the BVI's from the water.