We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost u less St Thomas

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cost u less St Thomas

Can anyone shop at cost u less or do you need to have a membership? Where is an inexpensive grocery store to shop at for groceries. We are heading to St Johns Cinnamon Bay for camping and need to buy food. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

You don't have to be a member to shop at CostULess. "Inexpensive" isn't a word to be bandied around here where grocery shopping is concerned (!) but, on STT, CUL and Plaza Extra have the best selections and prices. You probably don't have much refrigeration, if any other than a cooler, at Cinnamon so might be better off doing your shopping on STJ, particularly since the ferry will charge you for extra baggages other than your carry-ons.

2BNUSVI
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

Hmmm. I remember going to Cost U Less two years ago and after loading the check out lane full of groceries the worker told us that we needed a membership card. Luckily the person in front of us was nice enough to let us use his.

That being said, I am not sure if that is still the case today and if push comes to shove, they probably would allow you to purchase stuff there without a card.

Cost U Less has EVERYTHING you will ever need on your trip...I love that place.

Brian

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

CostULess has never required membership. You're probably confusing it with PriceSmart which does.

2BNUSVI
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

Maybe right. Is PriceSmart up a hill on the left of the main road going to Red Hook?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

PriceSmart is located on Rt 38 on the right hand side of the road going East and just before the entrance to Tutu Park Mall which is on the left.

CostULess is before that in Market Square East where the cinemas and Home Depot are located.

No maybes - CostULess has never required membership and PriceSmart always has and is in fact the only supermarket/warehouse store here which does.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

CostuLess has a membership card that gives rewards for accumulated purchases - it is NOT needed to buy anything anytime - if the person in front of you got to put your purchases on their card they received the $$ credit - but there is no Point of Purchase discount.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

THanks for all the help and quick answers. I feel better knowing I can purchase items at cost u less, and hopefully only make one trip for needed items. You guys are the best!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

I am having trouble getting directions from the airport to Cost U Less and then on to the ferry. The address on Cost U Less site doesn't seem to be recognized and I can't find an address for the red hook ferry. We are renting a car at the airport and want to stock up before we take the ferry to St. John. Help!!! Thanks

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

As stated above, it's off 38 on the left side as you're headed to Red Hook. It shares the turn with Home Depot which is searchable on google maps. We just got back from a week with 11 people. 4 of us went in a day early and made a major run at CostULess. Prices were between 30-50% less than Starfish. Of note was that prices at Love City in Coral Bay (we stayed up Seagrape Hill) were less, in some cases by a lot, than Starfish.

P.S. Make sure your car rental company will let you take the car over to St. John. Some do but some still don't. We ran into two couples who had run into that issue last week.

Edited: 11:57 pm, March 18, 2012
Fort Worth
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost u less St Thomas

As stated above, it's off 38 on the left side as you're headed to Red Hook. It shares the turn with Home Depot which is searchable on google maps. We just got back from a week with 11 people. 4 of us went in a day early and made a major run at CostULess. Prices were between 30-50% less than Starfish. Of note was that prices at Love City in Coral Bay (we stayed up Seagrape Hill) were less, in some cases by a lot, than Starfish.