We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon suggestions please

Cumming Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon suggestions please

I am getting married and planning our honeymoon for the begining of May. Right now I am leaning toward St John, but am open to any of the US islands. We are looking for something pretty nice, and like the private villas more than a hotel. We would like to be on the beach, but if we can't get that the second choice is a spectacular view. Looking for something romantic, and private but with easy access to activities (snorkeling, watersports, etc) mabye a little night life but thats not as important to us. Would like a hot tub, and the ability to cook some of our own meals. How are the prices for fresh caught seafood on the island? If anyone has any good suggestion we would appreciate them. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cumming Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

forgot to state. I am looking to stay 7-10 nights, and ahve a budget of around $2500-3000 mabye 3500 on the high end. This is excluding airfare. thats already covered.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

troutman123, We also are going to St. John for our honeymoon. I have been checking out villa rentals for a couple of months on line and it is definately the way to go. I've looked at about a hundred villas probably in the same price range you are seeking, 2000-2500. Many, many beautiful homes. Come with hot tubs, big pools, bbq's, water toys, a/c, dvd collections, everything! Not many on the water though, most of them have wicked views though. Close to town, restaurants, beaches etc. Quite a few on pretty private bays but with rocky beaches which would be private and awesome for snorkeling. Looked at St. Thomas also but seems like it is pretty hectic there, nice and layed back on St. John. Plus, everything is close by on this island. Seems like we can have it all here. Romance, privacy, close to every thing, go out for dinner once in a while, maybe get floor-lickin' drunk in some cool establishment, or on our deck beside the smokin' nice pool! No golf but not a big thing to hop over and play on another island. Go to usvi.com and there is everything you need to know about these islands. It has all the sites for villa rentals, forums, maps, car rentals,grocery stores,restaurants, etc. Seafood prices and stuff was talked about on this forum a little while ago or possibly on usvi.com. By the way, check out morningsidevilla.com. Very nice place. After all the checking I've done it is our choice. Hope this helps you out. Ps. -27C here day before yesterday so can't get away soon enough!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

We did St. John for our honeymoon in 1995 and have been going back ever since. I would recommend contacting a villa company and work with them. I had good experience with both VIVA and Catered To.

A house on the beach will be hard to find. (We have been searching for an on-beach rental for several years) Gibney Cottage is directly on the beach and may meet your price range.

You will have no trouble finding a villa with a view. Another good resource is the St. John forum on carribean on line.com. There are many reviews and lots of active villa-rental posters.

Remember you will need a rental vehicle no matter where you stay (aside from a rental in town)

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

We're honeymooning in June in St John and renting a villa. We went with Bongo bongo (still under construction but fingers crossed that it will be completed then!) They are accepting reservations in late march/early april. Check out www.bongobongostjohn.com they give daily updates on the progress!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cumming Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

Thanks for the sites. I was able to find a few more choices that i hadn't seen before. I am compiling a list now. I think we have decided that we are going to stay 10 nights. and are going to spend around 3500 so the best deal we can get for that is what we are looking for.

Cumming Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

We are flopping back and forth over these two places:

www.carefreegetaways.com/villacapiz.html

www.cloud9villas.com/Pebble_Beach/index.htm

Does anyone have any experience with either. Pebble beach sounds nice because it seems pretty private, and we would get our own private beach, albeit a pebble beach. I am not sure about being so far over on the east side of the island though because I have never been. Can anyone tell me about that area?

villa capiz sits on gift hill. appears to have great view and is a little close to the great beaches from what i hear. and it is cheaper too :).

Appreciate anyones experience wit these, and am open to other suggestions.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

Congratulations. The first thing that came to my mind was, you’d better hop on it. We booked our villa for next May LAST May. With your price range you should have some flexibility but many of the most popular properties are gone already. You won’t find much on the beach, but trust me, you’ll have a great time staying high up and trucking around in your 4WD to a new beach every day.

We’ve been going to STJ off and on for 25 years, and the East End is just now starting to become attractive. It’s way out there and unless you want to be a complete recluse for 10 days, you might find it a pain to schlep into town for provisions, restaurants, etc. Most people like to stay fairly close to Cruz Bay for that reason, and as a result there are a lot more villas in that area (also more villa construction). We prefer the north shore and Coral Bay areas. Not so far out as East End but away from the congestion (this is a very relative use of the word) in CB. But it all depends what you’re going for.

A couple of suggestions for whatever you decide to do. That time of year, you want AC at least in the bedrooms. If the house faces west (you’ll know if they make a big deal about their glorious sunsets) it’ll heat up even more so you may want AC throughout, just in case. And it’s not just because of the heat, it also helps if the mosquitoes are abundant or you’ve got a noisy neighbor. A pool is really nice too. A hot tub may be a little too, well, HOT that time of year.

I’ve read some nice reviews of Villa Capiz. Somebody on one of the forums was raving about it recently. There are a lot of villa reviews on virgin islands on-line.com. Take them with a grain of salt — just about everything is Great or Excellent — but they can be very helpful helping you narrow your search.

Mentioned in this post
East End
East End
St. Thomas
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

Question about your stated budget. Is the $3500 figure for the whole cost of your stay (including car, food, house) or just your villa budget? If it's just your villa budget, you've got tons of options. If you need to do 10 days and include everything for $3500 that gets harder.

Cumming Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

$3500 is the villa budget alone. I am planning on 3500 for place skymiles for tickets, about $400 for jeep, and

1500-2000 for food and activities.

bev
maryland
Level Contributor
199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon suggestions please

When are you getting married ? - in the off season you can stay at Caneel for your budget - the most incredible place I have ever seen - Rockefeller bought 3/4 of the island in the 50s and gave all but 180 acres to the Park Service. The 180 acres of Caneel have 7 of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

If you are going in high season, Gallows Point is on the water - small beach with a little sand and good snorkeling, but very nice one bedroom suites - with mexican tile, nice landscaping, pool, romantic, walk to town etc. Except for Caneel, most of the great beaches are part of the Park, so wherever you stay, you just drive to one of the many beaches. The Westin has a beach, but it is man-made. Rooms at Gallows are bigger than Westin or Caneel.