We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if i like st.john..where else should i go?

glen ridge, nj
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
if i like st.john..where else should i go?

my family and i have been to st. john numerous times and absolutly love it

the amazing snorkeling, the natural beauty, and how undeveloped it is.

we are looking for someplace new to go, with the same feel as st. john. any suggestions?

thanks

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

I know how you feel. We've tried several other destinations but keep coming back to STJ. We are going to Tortola for 2 weeks in April. We've heard that BVI is the closest you'll come to what we love most about STJ. I'll be watching to see what replys you get here.

Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

If you like St J, then you would most probably like Tortola and Virgin Gorda, BVI. A short ferry ride from St. John or St Thomas, these places both have their own unique personalities. Tortola and VG have development but not like St. Thomas. There are some great beaches on both Tortola (long bay, smugglers cove) and on VG (Savannah for snorkeling, the Baths (although go only when there are NO cruise ship crowds there and the water is calm ideally). There are great views just driving those islands. We have enjoyed the night life in Tortola the most (Myetts and Quito's at cane garden bay). Obviously, since St J is 60% national park, its going to have less development and its scenic beauty merits it national park status. While in BVI you can daytrip to Jost Van Dyke or Anegada). Have fun!

Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

If you like St J, then you would most probably like Tortola and Virgin Gorda, BVI. A short ferry ride from St. John or St Thomas, these places both have their own unique personalities. Tortola and VG have development but not like St. Thomas. There are some great beaches on both Tortola (long bay, smugglers cove) and on VG (Savannah for snorkeling, the Baths (although go only when there are NO cruise ship crowds there and the water is calm ideally). There are great views just driving those islands. We have enjoyed the night life in Tortola the most (Myetts and Quito's at cane garden bay). Obviously, since St J is 60% national park, its going to have less development and its scenic beauty merits it national park status. While in BVI you can daytrip to Jost Van Dyke or Anegada). Have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

When are you planning to make your trip?? if during the summer.. I really like Bermuda, there are some wonderfull long pink sand beaches there like nowhere else I've seen, Bike trails all over the island, easy safe bus system and some great snorkeling as well.. Drawing a blank on the name of the hotel we usually stay at, but can get that info if you need it. If you want to travel in the dead of winter.. Grand Cayman is pretty nice.. although, for the weekend I was there I didn't venture too far from the bar at the hotel...

I really want to go to the turks and caicos.. those islands are next on my list... well.. after I get home from the greek isles for my april birthday trip this year..

enjoy!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

DavidStt...

I love the island of St. John....but will be honeymooning next July in Bermuda....

We researched the island quite a bit, before booking, and are staying at the Reefs.

Like St. John, it seems from all the posts that I keep reading....that visitors to Bermuda are repeat visitors, as it offers that same natural beauty in its beaches, snorkeling....the amount of wonderful restaurants, etc.

We are really looking forward to this trip...

Like yourself...we have also looked at T&C....mainly because of its beaches....and wonderful snorkeling....have just never been as of yet.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

We have been to st.thomas...not for us! We have also been to tortola and Virgin gorda but keep returning to st.john the national park has not been replicated in terms of the natural untouched beauty. On a differnt wave length for a different closer to home jaunt we love Acadia in Bar Harbor, maine So beautiful, great restaraunts and lots of nice things to see and do in Maine but it is only a late august or september trip if you want to stick a toe in the water.If anyone can beat st.john for beauty and ease of transportation from the east coast let me know.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

Bermuda is charming and pretty, to be sure, but it is a world away from STJ in nearly every way. Much more densely populated. Relatively formal – dress codes at restaurants. There’s an airport and it’s popular with cruise ships. The beaches are among the prettiest I have seen. But overall it is not the first place I think of for people who like a STJ kind of place.

You might give Virgin Gorda a look. We were quite taken with it and resolved to explore it further.

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

Virgin Gorda.......like St. John is but even less developed.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

Bermuda and St John are neck in neck as it relates to the Beauty of the Islands, Bermuda is more densely populated (but in a good way) the only real crowds you will see are in Hamilton 9-5pm. There are over 150 lovely restaurants and Great Beaches. If you've enjoyed St. John, you will most certainly enjoy Bermuda.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: if i like st.john..where else should i go?

Take a look at some of the out islands of the bahamas...