We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinnamon Stones Villa

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Cinnamon Stones Villa

" Cinnamon Stones is within the VI National Park in Cathrinesburg, the prime real estate for views. It is accessible by a diffcult dirt road. A 0.7 mi drive took 15-20 minutes, but the view is worth it."

This quote from a previous post has me worried. We recently returned from a wonderful week on St. John and we are anxious to select a villa for a trip we're planning in September. Cinnamon Stones is on my very short list, however I'm not sure if any view is worth a 15 to 20 minute difficult driveway ride.

We stayed at One Particular Harbor during our past visit; the view was breath taking though the drive up to the villa is not for the faint of heart. We love the Coral Bay area, but thought we might like to stay at a property with a north shore view.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has stayed at or is familiar with Cinnamon Stones Villa. We are also looking at Mystic Ridge, Chateau Margot, and Mayan Sky.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

I have not stayed at Cinnamon Stones but we have stayed many times at other homes in that neighborhood, and I can’t imagine 15-20 minutes drivetime. But maybe this house is on an especially challenging stretch, or the poster was trying it during a hurricane. Did you ask the management company? The views from that spot are my favorite on the entire island.

We have One Particular Harbor booked for 2 weeks next May. Aside from the road, how was your experience there? Did everything work? Did you have all you needed?

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

One Particular Harbor is a lovely villa. It was very well equipped; I honestly can't think of any one thing we needed that we didn't have. The driveway wasn't all that bad after the first few times we drove it. The view and the breezes from the deck are incredible; we felt that we could almost touch the stars.

We enjoyed the week we spent there and especially loved our daily visits from an adorable dog named Quincy.

Unfortunately since I posted I have found out that Cinnamon Stones, Mystic Ridge, and Chateau Margot are all closed for the month of September...so I guess it's back to square one :)

If you have other questions regarding OPH, please feel free to ask.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

Thanks, Mia. We’re eager to give OPH a try.

One villa that you might put on your radar screen is Sago Palms. The only reason we’re going to OPH is that Sago was booked. Views are similar to Cinnamon Stones and the road to the house is about 5 minutes (okay, 10 minutes the first time) from Centerline. Other good ones in that neighborhood are Cinnamon Ridge, Cinnamonj Bay, and Anole. The last three are from Caribbean Villas, Sago is from Private Homes for Private Vacations.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

Try Cinnamon Bay Estate also in Catherineburg, was there in early Dec. Great location and view. The road was tricky at first but you get used to it and it really isn't that bad.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

We've stayed at Cinnamon Stones several times and it's my family's favorite villa in Catherineberg. Another one of our favorites is Island Sun which avoids the worst part of the road down to Cinnamon Stones, Cinnamon Bay Estates and Anole.

We've also stayed at Mystic Ridge and have considered Chateau Margot and Mayan Sky for future trips.

Boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

We stayed at Mango Bay in the same area and really loved it. You should check that out as well.

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I really had my heart set on Cinnamon Stones...guess Island Getaways closes all of their properties for the whole month of September. Sago Palms is also not available for the entire month. Mayan Sky and Mango Bay seem quite nice; I'm not sure which one to pick. Does Cinnamon Bay Estate have air conditioning? It seems from all I've read that September is very hot. We loved the cool breezes at OPH and needed a sweater on some mornings and evenings, but the AC in the bedrooms was great.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

We were there in Dec at Cinnamon Bay estate,so there was no need for air conditioning, we had plenting of trade winds blowing. The master bedroom has ceiling fan and a deck so you can open the doors for fresh air. There are cieling fans through out the house. The deck is wonderful and huge with a great pool and hot tub! Also the great room has a wall of glass for views but the doors open up as well. I can't say enough about this house and the owner is great and his staff very helpful. Go to suitestjohn.com

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

DCphotog,

Thanks for your input; Cinnamon Bay Estate looks absolutely lovely. I'm afraid that in September we will definitely need AC. I wish this were not the case because I have fallen in love with this property by looking at the photos.

I have been looking at Mango Bay, Mayan Sky,Bordeaux Mountain House(just started renting this month and it is gorgeous, Caribbean Villa has the listing). Do you know anything regarding these villas?

We stayed at One Particular Harbor from 12/27/05 thru 01/03/06; we loved it, yet would like to try someplace different. I adored sitting on the deck.... enjoying the tradewinds while looking at the spectacular view.

Please let me know any thoughts or suggestions. I am probably putting way too much time and thought into this :)But our September getaway is an extremely special time for my family to spend time together, so of course I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinnamon Stones Villa

Didn't know if you had heard about Coray Rays? but I just read your post again and you want to be on North Shore, but I figured I'd post anyway. Destination St John has some great homes on their site maybe one of them will suit you. (I posted others that have received great write-ups. Happy shopping)

www.destinationstjohn.com/coral_rays.htm

www.destinationstjohn.com/la_papaya.htm

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/vistaero.htm

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/ambiance.htm