We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goceries in St John.

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, GA
2 posts
Save Topic
Goceries in St John.

I'm sure this a common question and I apologize if I am repeating it. A group of us are staying in a villa in St John in 2 weeks, and I have heard stories of people flying their groceries in. Are groceries available on St. John or do you have to go back to St. Thomas to get groceries? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Goceries in St John.

Not a problem , groceries are avaiable in both Cruz and Coral Bays, better selection in Cruz bay. Groceries are generally expensive compared to the states. Hope this helps.

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goceries in St John.

The stores on St. John will likely have everything one would need. The store at the Marketplace impressed me with their selection.

We have taken meat in the past (bacon, sausage, etc.) for breakfast but decided against it for our upcoming trip. The meat lovers have decided they rather do without than luge a cooler.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goceries in St John.

...i always go to pine peace first....then dolphin market and lastly to starfish for my shopping needs......

i'm on a budget so thats why.....though starfish will have a better produce selection.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Goceries in St John.

We like to take a few items along, mainly meat, that may be either hard to find or very expensive on island. Also to avoid the hassle of schlepping into town all the time for provisions. We have a small softside cooler that has wheels just like a piece of carryon luggage. It fits easily in the overhead on the plane and becomes our beach cooler once we’re there.

If you go out to restaurants most of the time, it’s probably not worth the effort, but if you cook in most meals as we do, it’s very convenient. There were extended discussions about the pros and cons and some excellent tips on vinow.com, so you might want to do a search there. I think it was last summer.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goceries in St John.

As a previous posted noted, store at Marketplace has pretty much everything you'd expect from a big US supermarket (but at double the prices!). For liquors & wines, I'd suggest you skip the supermarket and head instead to the blue Marina Market right down the street from the Texaco station. They have a great selection and prices are lower than the supermarket.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goceries in St John.

...unfortunately marina market is no longer there and its empty.

there is a marina market at redhook and if you can....get as much there as you can carry before you come over to st.john.

ps: i just went to starfish...bellpeppers 7.99 a #, pine peace 3.49 a #,

the same bottle of wine was 3 dollars more at starfish etcetcetc...so shop around if you can!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goceries in St John.

Oh my gosh! The Marina Market liquor store is no more? Does anyone have any recommendations for good places for getting a wide selection of wines for a decent price?