We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

I'm looking for a private transfer by car from the STT airport to the ferry dock to get the ferry to St John. I've heard all kinds of reports that it is hard to get a cab for just 2 people. Is there a reputable company in St Thomas that I can hire beforehand to meet my flight and take 2 people to RH? Recommendations for transfer companies are appreciated.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
261 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

You can take a private cab, but you will have to pay as if the cab were full.

We have done this when we didn't want to wait the 1/2 hour for the airline to get the bags down and for the other passengers to collect them and make their way to the taxis. (We only carry-on, so it means sitting in the van for quite a while)

If you found a car taxi (not a van)then you wouldn't have to wait for them to fill it up and wouldn't be subject to paying alot extra-Good Luck!

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

We used Christoper Taxi for 4 adults. He was prompt and professional. The fee was around $50 or $60 each way. Unfortunately I don't have the phone number but you might want to try a Google search.

Boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

sorry to kind of steal the post for my own benefit, but...

is it that difficult/expensive to get from airport to ferry dock? is it far? i had no idea until i started researching St. John yesterday that it didn't have an airport. travel books said it was low to medium hassle.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

Daisy, it is low to medium hassle, depending on where you are staying. For example, is you are staying at Westin or Caneel Bay, they have transportation laid on from the airport to the dock to the resort. Dont know about Caneel, but Westin charges $65 peo person for unlimited trips on the ferry - in other words, airport to resort, back to airport when you are leaving, plus any time you want to go St Thomas for shopping. We found that slightly expensive, so we looked for alternatives. There are 4 of us, and we rent a car at the airport (we rent a Wrangler) for our entire stay. Now the Wrangler cant hold all the people plus luggage, so we have 2 people take a cab to the Charlotte Amalie dock for the ferry to St John (you may want to check that, I heard it may be cancelled, alternative is cab to Red Hook), while the other 2 take the car to Red Hook and the Car ferry. Back to the aiport the same way. Actually we usually bookend our St John stay witnh a couple days in St Thomas, as that makes it even easier. You may think that sounds like a hassle, and its certainly more difficult that getting a ride to the resort, but it does have certain advantages: You have transportation for your entire trip, you can set your own schedule (subject to frequent Cruz Bay-Red Hook ferries) and taxi time is minimized. Plus you will want a car on St John anyway - trust me. And if there's only 2 of you, the hassle is minimized further. And believe me, its well worth the little hassle there is. Good luck

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

I will throw in my two cents. It is more annoying than a hassle. The annoying part can be the taxi situation. The cabs, which are typically vans, wait until all seats are taken before leaving for the ferry dock. So you might hussle to claim your bags and get the heck out of the airport, be loaded into a cab but be stuck waiting for the driver to find other passengers.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

Yes, it’s a hassle. Not only do you often have to wait for the van to fill up, you often have to make several stops along the way to RH to drop other passengers off. They make zero attempt to coordinate destinations. They couldn’t care less about your vacation and they get paid either way. But we don’t seem to mind too much, since we’re just starting our vacation and it’s an excellent, if forced, introduction to getting yourself on island time. Just don’t schedule your airport arrival too late so you’re in no particular hurry.

Actually, it’s on the way BACK that the hassle bugs me the most, since we have a plane to catch. For that reason we usually take the ferry to CA rather than RH, since it’s a very short and easy cab ride from there.

Anyway, if St. John were too accessible, it wouldn’t be the place that it is.

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

Thank you all for your comments. So if a couple wants to reserve a private car in advance, are there any airport transfer companies to call and reserve/pay in advance? Or do you just have to wing it at the airport? Other Caribbean islands have plenty of transfer companies ready to take your business if you are inclined to pay for a private transfer. I can't seem to find one, any recommendations of actual companies to call?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

I emailed this company a few days ago to get a quote, although I haven't gotten a reply yet. Their website says they do exactly what you are looking for: a driver meets you at the airport holding a sign with your name, and takes you directly to your destination without waiting for other passengers or making any other stops:

East End Taxi Association

http://www.st-thomas.com/eetaxi/

We're thinking about doing this since we will have a LONG travel day (starting at 6:30 AM, arriving at STT at 6:30 PM) and we just want to get to St. John as quickly as possible!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

Once you find a driver never let him go. If you find a driver you like get his # and use him exclusivly. My whole family uses one guy and he will pick us up at the airport and take the fast route over the mtn to get us to the earliest ferry possible.

Have Fun

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfer Company from STT airport to Red Hook

P.S. I think the fellow I use is with East End Taxi Assoc. Also

Get answers to your questions about St. John