We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime wave in St. John

NYC - Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crime wave in St. John

Hi, my husband and I were considering a trip to St. John next month, but reading their local paper, Tradewinds, I see there has been a lot of crime and armed robberies of rental villas lately. Has anyone who has recently gone to St. John experienced these things?

9 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Crime wave in St. John

Was there Dec. 10-17. Agree with last 2 posters. Never felt at all unsafe.

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Crime wave in St. John

In response to :

" Even living in NYC, I never have to worry about that level of crime..."

Lakshmi, it is simply not true. There is so much more petty and violent crime in New York City. I live there too. But feeling safe and being safe are two different things. Check out the crime statistics at your local precinct.

Certainly you shouldn't vacation anywhere you don't feel safe, what is the point of having to worry on vacation. But thinking St. John is less safe than New York is just ridiculous. Wherever you choose to go, have a great trip!

Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Crime wave in St. John

My family just returned from a week in St. John staying at Maho Bay. I too, read the news reports online and was worried about safety issues and even thought about canceling the trip.

I am so glad we went - we had a fantastic time and I did not feel unsafe for one minute. We rented a car, so were all over the island, beaching, hiking, eating out etc. And we did spend several evenings in Coral Bay. I did notice cops around every time we were in Coral Bay, so they are increasing their presence there. All the locals we came into contact with were very friendly and helpful.

We kept our car locked at all times and were generally careful as I would be anywhere I travel. I think you should go ahead and enjoy your vacation!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Crime wave in St. John

Things have been pretty quiet recently. They have arrested three people in relation to one of the crimes here and reports say that this one was a pure greed issue. Someone stole about $50,000 from an acquaintances house while they were away on vacation. The larceny took a terrible turn, but they now have the persons who were responsible.

I believe the police presence in Coral Bay being beefed up is helping as well. The police are trying to gain the people confidence back.

I still feel safe here and have no hesitations going out at night time alone.

Lake Geneva, WI
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Crime wave in St. John

My husband and I just returned from there (11 days) over the holidays. We felt perfectly safe, however, the rental villa owners encourage folks to lock up at night and not wear flashy jewelry. Not really a probably since shorts and sandals are the norm.

We have been traveling to St John about every six months for the past five years and this is the first time we have encountered such a warning, We plan to continue our visits there as before.