We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Temp.....

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
syracuse
5 posts
Save Topic
Water Temp.....

Hello fellow forum posters....

I am headed to St. John on monday and wanted to get your expert input on weather/water temperature. I usually visit the Carribean in sept and love the hot weather and warm water. I was just wondering if anybody has visited St john in both the winter and summer and if there is a big difference in weather and water temperature.

I visited ST. Maarten last year in jan. and found the water to be somewhat "chilly"........Obviously to keep things in perspective Its -8 with wind chill in syracuse today...but just wondering.....

Edited: 2:50 pm, January 29, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Temp.....

I don't know the temperature of the water but have been to St. John in January/February and also June/July. The water is (for me) chilly this time of year and I wear a rash guard shirt if I am going to be in for any length of time.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Temp.....

Hey capattack, let me know what you think of the water temp. We are heading there in less than 4 weeks. And as you can see, we are fellow Syracusans!

GO ORANGE!! By the way, we usually vacation later in March, we are hoping to see SU in March Madness!!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Temp.....

I think your experience on STJ will be similar to STM. I like the warmer water of October/November. The water gets down below 80oF in the winter and gets a bit chill. I've even heard of some of our local members to wear socks to bed at night.

Cheers, RickG

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Temp.....

Living in New England all my life has made me a tough old broad. I don't have a problem going in the ocean when the water temp is in the 60's. My husband and I will be arriving to St. John 2 weeks from tomorrow for a 10 day stay ( our 5th trip here ). I can't WAIT to jump in the Caribbean!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Temp.....

There is a real time water temp available at www.ndbc.noaa.gov -- use buoy 41043 - and this is the ocean temp - some of the more calm and sandy bottomed bays will be even warmer.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Temp.....

What a great site!!

vermont
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Temp.....

I agree, thanks for the tip on this site!

8. Re: Water Temp.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2010