We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chocolate Hole

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
40 reviews
79 helpful votes
Chocolate Hole

Thinking of family trip to St John and found Villa in Chocolate Hole we all love! Going in March for my 50th birthday! I know we have to fly into St Thomas and ferry over. What is in the area? How about groceries? Car rentals? Restaurants? Etc? Several of us love to cook so as long as we can get fresh veggies, fish...

Thanks. 8 adults and one child going.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
28 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Chocolate Hole

For 8 people you will need to rent 2 cars. Which will make your vacation much less stressful.

Rick G has a great site for traveling with a group and for Newbies, I am sure he will pop into this post this week and give you the link. It is a must have for any new traveler.

There is so much information here, you can do some quick searches and find most everything you need to know.

I would recommend that you reserve your cars RIGHT NOW. They can be hard to come by during the high season

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
40 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Chocolate Hole

Thanks. My dh and I stayed in St Thomas years ago, but have been to both islands in last year with cruises. Love the National Park! Look forward to getting details.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Chocolate Hole

You are very close to Starfish market and they have a decent selection of vegetables although they are very expensive i.e 1 leek is $6. There is also a fresh fish store downtown (I forget the name) that has good fish. Keep in mind that eveything that is in the stores at STJ has come via boat so it may not be the freshest around. It is certainly workable.

Make sure to snorkel chocolate hole there is a reef on the SE side near the mouth as you snorkel out around the point there are some huge boulders also. We saw all sorts of stuff turtles, eels lobster and ltos of fish.

B.

NH
4 posts
4. Re: Chocolate Hole

Hi, we have been going to STJ for last 7 years with another family. Starfish is a great market but be prepared for sticker shock. the last 3 years we have packed rice, marinade packets,tuna, cereal, bagels, eng. muffins, condiments, cookies, tortilla and crackers and then buy meats, veggies, fruits and cheese when we get to STJ. Saves a lot of money. Denzil Clyne is who we rent our cars from and I always book it 8 months in advance that number is 340 776 6715

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
26 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Chocolate Hole

As tinkerbelldee mentioned, I created a Newbie's guide for STJ for a big family trip. It needs an update, but it still works for folks.

garvin.us/STJ/…STJ_New_Visitor_Guide.html

Errata:

- The Texaco in Cruz Bay is gone, the traffic circle took its place at the intersection of Centerline and South Shore Roads.

- Tigger has passed. There is a new pup.

- RIP Front Yard

- St. John Market on South Shore Road and Lily's Market in Croal Bay.

- RIP Mixology

- Jake's replaced Chilly Billy's

- Michelle gone from Beach Bar

Some additional hints:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19925-US_Virgi…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19904-St_John_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19889-St_John_…

Some hints for traveling with groups:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k2765…

Cheers, RickG

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Chocolate Hole

What is the best place to rent the 4WD on St. John? By best, I mean, safest vehicle, least hassle. Do we need to rent before arriving? Our trip is 3rd week in Sept 2009.

Thanks in advance.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
108 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: Chocolate Hole

I have used ST John Car Rental, Delbert Hill and O'Connors at Westin. No hassel and jeeps in good condition.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
316 posts
42 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Chocolate Hole

Sounds like a great place to enjoy your birthday. I would just make sure you know if the construction of the new resort will impact your stay significantly.

Happy upcoming 50th.

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
40 reviews
79 helpful votes
9. Re: Chocolate Hole

I hope not...and we adjust pretty well. The little girl wakes about 6am anyway. For the price I'm will to accept a bit of construction. Although looking at the map, seems this Villa is on the outskirts of it right now. After some rum, won't matter anyway.

Plus, already rented Blue Agave for the week, plane tickets reserved...only thing left is rental car.

10. Re: Chocolate Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 09, 2010