We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about booking a trip to STJ??

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about booking a trip to STJ??

Anyone have any idea what may lie ahead in the next few months in STJ??

Hearing and reading on different forums and VI daily news, aboiut all this racial tension against white people, kinda scary, any tips on this? Was ready to book our villa today for May 06, now I feel apprehensive...

thanks.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about booking a trip to STJ??

We were there twice this summer. The second time we arrived the day after the "incident". Have friends who are locals, etc. If anything, I think the situation has made people even kinder to eachother. Be careful not to read too terribly much into these forums. I think they tend to give a rather myopic view of things sometimes. Most people who travel to STJ don't even know what tripadvisor is...

Yes, according to our local friends, there are a few "whites" and a few "non-whites" (PC?) who have problems with eachother. The VAST majority of the people are VERY friendly. STJ is very safe. You can even walk the streets of Cruz Bay at night without feeling uncomfortable. Like anywhere, you just have to have common sense. Apparently the two people involved in the incident have had bad feelings towards eachother for a long time.

Scroll back to a post entitled "What's gong on in STJ" (or something like that). It was posted around the 3rd or 4th of September. 2 or 3 locals chimed in on the topic, and I think it might reassure you further.

Please don't feel like you should change your plans. STJ is a wonderful place. There are jerks here and there everywhere in this world. STJ is no exception.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about booking a trip to STJ??

Tips - respect for all you come in contact with and couple that with an understanding that you are a guest in a culture that is different then the one you left. It is a bit cliche but beginning each exchange with a sincere good morning (good day, afternoon or evening) AND waiting for the return of greeting will work wonders. I also find it most helful to SLOW down and enjoy the moment - if I run into a resident that is having a bad day I try to move on knowing that happens to me here in the states all the time.

By all means go and enjoy.

Tom

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about booking a trip to STJ??

I just returned from a girl trip to STJ, and we were actually approached in the airport by a woman warning us about things that have been happening. Her son was injured, so we were very apprehensive...our trip went off without a hint of any problems. We were there 12 days total and encountered only friendly people. On several occasions we walked (in a group of 5, never alone) between the restaraunts, and our hotel (Gallows Point). None of us felt uncomfortable at any point. Book your trip and just be cognizant of your surroundings when you are there. It is always a good idea, even in places where there isn't a current issue.

MY bet is you will love STJ, and become addicted as so many others have to its beauty.