We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?? for cleobeach

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
?? for cleobeach

Hi cleo,

Thanks for your tip on safety at T&C and St. John's destinations.

Since you have been to both islands, wanted your honest opinion on which you liked better? I am really torn between which of these Is. to go to. We have never been to the caribb. and are choosing it because we want to experience the VERY turquoise water, with calm swimming areas, WHITE sand, (the postcard thing) You know what I mean, friendly people, etc. isn't that why everyone goes there?? Anyway, I know from all my searching TCI and St. John are very different, but your tips would be of great help, thanks alot!

Diamond

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ?? for cleobeach

The short answer - St. John. The long explanation follows below.

We are 35 & 40, married, Kid #1 on the way. Honeymooned on St. John 10 years ago. Take an average of one Caribbean trip per year. Beach is priority #1. We rise early, hit the beach until early afternoon, get out and explore for lunch, do little cooking as we prefer to go to town for dinner and entertainment.

Have stayed at resorts (on and off St. John) and villas. Each option has its strong points.

We like to eat regional on vacation and make a point not to order anything we can get at home. Don't mind spending for good food and drink, prefer casual establishments.

Both islands are beautiful, St. John is moutainous with great views while Provo is flat.

St. John has lots of smaller beaches, Provo has few but longer and wider beaches.

Water is crystal clear on both islands. Sand is blinding white on both.

St. John is predominately national park, Provo is just on the cusp of major commercial development. You will see large scale construction project (as in multi-story condos) on Provo.

Friendly people on both. Residents of Provo were a bit more outcoming and welcoming to tourists.

St. John has a broader range of dining and entertainment choices. Provo doesn't have a "town" in the traditional sense. The resorts have elegant restaurant and shops. Other areas of Provo (like the marina) have more casual options. Food and drink on Provo is very very expensive.

I would describe both islands as quiet but Provo rolls up its sidewalks very early. At times, we were the last people in the restaurant at 9pm.

For a first trip, I would recommend St. John as it is more tropical in the traditional sense. For us, St. John has more of what we look for on vacation.